Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 11th 2004
Published: December 11th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We´ve been in Buenos Aires for a couple of days now... around every corner this city proves to us again and again that it is one of the must see cities in the world. We had high expectations because people we´ve talked to in the past two months have raved about it. We really, really wanted it to live up to that reputation, and it does! Culinary art, theater, architecture, city grittiness (and non-grittiness), lush parks and harbors fuse into one little tastey, dulce de leche pastry that would be great washed down with a latté sitting at a street-side café. yum.

Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes had a great exhibit on Argentine painters and sculptors, the portraits in this exhibit really stuck with me, and if I had my notebook at the time I would have some names for you. Also, a few cubists and impressionists I had never heard of took me by suprise. I didn't see one lily pad! Hooray for Italian and Argentine impressionists!

And lastly, but not leastly, we've been enjoying the food immensely. Our first night here, we just wandered aimlessly down towards the center of the city and came across a sweet little Italian restaurant on Suipacha. When we couldn't be seated right away we were given a glass of wine of our choosing...yeah! Then, came the most delicious handmade pasta...the restaurant was so cute and the staff so friendly, we were more than happy to pay our $15 check! Sorry for the economy crash, Argentina, but, you know, cheap eats is what our lives are all about. More gastronomic adventures we had include, excellent sushi, and last night we went for a promotion for 2 at a seafood place, that included snacks and some sherry when we first sat down, a bottle of wine, and some champagne with the check, if you don't mind. Most we've drank in a while, heads weren't quite on right this morning, but we had a damn fine time working our way through some grilled beef ribs, paella, antipasta (woa, lots of pork going on here) and flans!

We've just moved into the St. Nicholas hostel today, hooray for little St. Nick! And we're planning to take a ferry over to Colonia, Uruguay for just a few days, then it's back to B.A. for a week of good times before heading home. So, sum it up, come to Buenos Aires. Have a lot of fun. We are so glad we booked our flight home from this beautiful city.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb