Attack of the Killer Altitude Sickness


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » La Paz
December 6th 2004
Published: December 6th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We were so excited to be heading for La Paz...the guidebook makes like theres tons of good outdoor activities around the city and lots of interesting museums and markets to visit in the city...

Well, it´s definitely an interesting place...but after Todd spent the whole of our first day with altitude sickness...fever, and throwing up, we aren´t feeling so up for adventurous undertakings. So, there will be no bike ride down the World´s Most Dangerous Road, no long, bumpy, and for Todd, who gets the motion sickness, nausea inducing bus rides to beautiful little Andean towns, and no boat rides to jungle retreats (again, the dirty old motion sickness). But no worries!

Sunday there was literally nothing going on in the city, because of municipal elections. We found just 2 restaurants open for dinner, and we opted for the one that looked sorta clean...the food was really good, but of course, we both had meat after vowing to go veggie in Bolivia after walking through the market and observing the unrefrigerated and totally hanging out in the open raw meats. Mmmm, those markets sure smell nice, too. We spent the afternoon, like apparently many pacenas (residents of La Paz) hanging out in the Plaza Murillo, snacking and watching the pigeons and children playing in the empty city streets.

Today, we´re taking in some museums, including the Museo de Coca - wacky goodness, but we´re even a bit jaded on that, after chewing coca leaves and learning all about the traditions of coca in Peru - updating the weblog (obvs), and making reservations for a spot in Buenos Aires, where we´ll be heading tomorrow, a bit ahead of schedule. But, we only have a short time left before heading home, and it seems like it´ll prove more relaxing and festive than La Paz.

So, we´re not dissing La Paz, with more time to adjust to the altitude, we would´ve had tons to do, and we know we´re missing a lot, but it´s the start of the rainy season here, and we´re looking forward to some sun and good steaks before heading back to the states.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb