Day 2 - Tango lessons and futbol madness!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
April 20th 2007
Published: April 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

FutbolFutbolFutbol

The visiting fans at work
After a sleep in as we tried to adjust to Buenos Aires body clocks (they eat dinner around 10-12pm and lunch around 2-3) we bludged around town a bit before doing a 3 hour tango lesson. We managed to get some good info from fellow travellers and locals on a less touristy place for lessons that proved awesome. The place was an old tango hall that while a bit run down made you feel like you were transported back to the early 20th century and stuff.

Our teacher was a lovely local girl by the name of Roxy. She was tough but seemed to think we could handle some tough love! We had a great time and managed to pull together some sort of tango 'tude. The guy running the café in the hall collects coins and asked me if I had any Oz coins he could have while 'checking my equipment'at the urinal. Nice guy though, really.

More yummy and cheap food before chilling out at our hostel (which was quite nice). Then it was off to the soccer (futbol) to see what all the fuss is about. Firstly, we did choose a game that we knew
FutbolFutbolFutbol

The home fans at work
wasn't as big as the one on Sunday but this was so we could catch a cheaper tango show. We got a bit ripped off by the hostel who told us you had to be a member to get tickets when it turned out we could have rocked up ourselves but they took us there and back and our guide for the night was a cool guy. We watched Argentine Jrs play Colon (Santa Fe) and it was an ok match but the crowd didn't disapoint on the futbol craziness fronts! The locals had drums, constant music all within the confines of an 3m fence with barbed wire round the top. The visting fans had a completely separate section and set off flares and generally caused trouble in their cage. They were let out 15m before the home fans to minimise violence which our guide John told us is actually quite common (hence the mass of police and riot control blokes).

Met some nice UK peoples their and had a good chat with John about life as a twenty something Portenos. The game ended in a poorly fought draw but a good experience in the end. after another post 1am night (we really are getting old) we fell into bed again..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb