Buenos Aires - Steak & Stilts


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tigre
October 4th 2008
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: 4 October 2008 120 secs
We awoke at 0730 and had planned to go to Boca District to see if we could get tickets to Sunday afternoons Boca Juniors v Estudiantes game but bumped in to a couple of blokes who seemed to think that they would not be on sale until game day. Plan B was to take a 50 minute train ride to Tigre, a town north of Buenos Aires that lies on Delta del Paraná. It turned out to be a good decision.

We took the Subte to Retiro then boarded a train to Tigre 50 minutes for $1.10 (NZ$0.55)! The hub of the town is Puerto de Frutos a huge market but (this being Argentina) nothing was opened when we got there around 10am. The Argentines don’t seem to do anything until midday so we walked a few blocks before finding lunch at a local restaurant where I was introduced to the pleasure that is Argentine Steak $36 (NZ$18). The steak was rubbed with salt and pepper and was absolutely divine.

I timed my completion of said steak perfectly and we boarded a boat for an hour long tour of the Delta del Paraná. We must have covered more than 5kms in a loop through the tributaries of the Delta and almost every shoreline on both sides had houses on it. The offshoots even had street named even though the only method of transportation to and from them was boat. Many of the houses were built on stilts to allow for the overflow of the waters. Alongside the houses were old shipwrecks, a couple of gas stations, rowing clubs, camping sites and even a few bars. Jo and I have added a house on The Delta to out must have list alongside a cottage in Çannukale and a distillery in Islay.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent wandering around the markets of Puerto de Frutos and paying an toilet attendant $2 for a dump (money well spent).

By 1600 we were back in Buenos Aires and Jo needed another nana nap so I took a walk back down to Plaza de Mayo and on to Puerto Madero where I found Hooters Buenos Aires. I withheld the urge to buy a beer and went back to the hostel, passing Luna Park where people were actually lining up to pay for tickets to see Jose Feliciano that night.

We had a fairly quiet night but found a good Parilla (BBQ) restaurant on Lavalle called El Gaucho and had a huge mixed grill of blood sausage, pork sausage, lamb chops, sweet breads, steak and chicken for $90 all up including a beer each (NZ$45). Needless to say we left contented and carrying the extra couple of kilos that we had probably lost the previous few days. We had another walk though the stalls on Florida, stopped for a coffee and got back to the hostel at 2130. I got the diary up to date and headed for bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Tour BoatTour Boat
Tour Boat

Delta del Parana
Tour BoatTour Boat
Tour Boat

Delta del Parana


Tot: 0.665s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb