Mar de Plata!


Advertisement
Published: April 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A very exuberant weekend in Mar de Plata followed the relaxing Easter Holidays. Over the Easter weekend my friends from Colorado and the CU Women's rugby team arrived bearing necessities and gifts from up north. The most exciting of them being a stockpile of peanut butter! A care package my Mom put together included a birthday gift of a fully loaded MP3 player (thanks Bro!), a lot of Tabasco, magazines in English, various spices to heat up our otherwise very sweet palate of food, my favorite snack foods including Craisins and Luna Bars and, of course, extra underwear. Thanks Mom! Thanks to the CU girls, Dain recieved his camera and was elated by this gift. The familiar faces were also a gift in itself. We were quickly caught up on all the inside rugby happenings in the US and in Denver thanks to KT. Very swiftly, Dain and I found ourselves at the bar having a blast hopping around place to place. We felt at home surrounded by all these fun, familiar people.

The next bit of excitement happened when Dain and I traveled to a rugby club about 45 minutes away called, Central Naval. I quickly threw on the
Post matchPost matchPost match

CU women and opposition mixed in.
CU jersey and jumped in the game with immense happiness. Only too soon I found out that the rugby knowledge of the other team was basic, if that, and the sport we were playing was a combination of bunch ball and boxing when The Sir wasn't looking. CU won the game handsomely and the after-match social was surrounded by kisses on the cheeks displaying no hard feelings from either side. Also, quite humorously, a confusion of poor translation happening around every table. The Central Naval facilities were adequate compared to my handsome home pitch; I've been so spoiled. However, every pitch had lights and a small section for spectators, the clubhouse accommodated both teams and them some and served a generous amount of cheese pizza, hamburgers and beer. The facilities included numerous practice and game pitches for rugby and several clay tennis courts. The grounds were buzzing both with people and massive mosquitoes! Both games played in Buenos Aires were won by Colorado.

The third and final game took place in Mar de Plata where a combination including all of Argentina's female rugby teams formed; the National team, I suppose. The night before the match, Dain and I met the players at a local restaurant and enjoyed relaxing and drinking copious amounts of Quilmes while listening to some live music. At this restaurant we met the first ever woman, rugby, referee in Argentina. We all agreed she was far to lovely and petite to be a rugger and hence the refereeing. As the following day unfolded, the players became more and more famous because this was the first time the Argentinian "National" fifteens team played a match against a foreign group. At the Mar de Plata Rugby Club, we were greeted by a full spectator stand, flags, news camera, radio personnel and an announcer. After all the advertising (and I must add, that this is the first time I have ever received a medal before the match,) the game FINALLY began. Despite the importance of the match, it was still conducted in true Argentinian style, starting 2 hours late. During the first half, CU dominated, but in the end, Argentina won and quite proudly displayed the first trophy award for this first time event. Because this was the last night out for the CU team, before returning to Colorado, a full night of mischief and blasphemy occurred.

The
Me and AuggieMe and AuggieMe and Auggie

Looking like a giant, again.
next day, Dain and I found it easy to wake up far past noon and begin a day of sightseeing, picture taking, beach walking, window shopping and taste testing all that Mar de Plata had to offer. I left the beach with bright red legs, having forgot about how real the hole in the Ozone layer really is. On the bus ride to Buenos Aires, we were temporarily delayed because of the farm strike happening. A very serious and somewhat historical protest has been going on for 2 weeks and the issues lie in the hands of the government for resolution. The problem of the farmer's produce being taxed upon delivery to the city has finally driven the farm people to actions strong enough to leave the shelves of many stores bare. Trucks carrying foods like beef, milk, fruit and vegetables have been not been allowed to pass the highway for delivery. Hundreds of picketers gather on the highways to chant, hold signs and quite clearly make their point. Recently, the strike has caused the death of a 19-year-old Brazilian girl. For now, the crowds have dispersed and the issue goes unresolved and we hope the president can figure it
Carlos and the girlsCarlos and the girlsCarlos and the girls

Carlos and Auggie are the tour guides.
out.

Well, friends, with mate gourd in hand I will conclude this blog with conviction, of how much a privilege and pleasure it is to be living abroad in Argentina. The country provides a greatly gratifying feeling to have come so far, thus far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Me overlooking the BeachMe overlooking the Beach
Me overlooking the Beach

Windy Mar de Plata
Quilmes BeachQuilmes Beach
Quilmes Beach

Quilmes is the Argentinian choice for beer, (tastes like Budweiser)
Beach ActivitiesBeach Activities
Beach Activities

A game similar to horse shoes, but with discs.
More things to do at the beachMore things to do at the beach
More things to do at the beach

Jump on trampolines or shop.
Live music and dancingLive music and dancing
Live music and dancing

...next to the beach.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb