Work Update


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » La Plata
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Windmill ProjectWindmill ProjectWindmill Project

I understood all of the Spanish but the Physics totally lost me!
It’s not all about traveling

Just wanted to make sure to add some info about the work I'm doing so that it doesn't seem like I took an 8 month vacation 😉

CEP
I work for CEP (Centro de Entrenamiento para la Producción)(http://www.centrocep.com.ar/Index.html). They are an NGO that works with PYMES (Small and medium sized businesses). CEP works with PYMES to promote the development of an entrepreneurial culture in Argentina, which is quickly growing as the government has started offering a lot of growth subsidies and tax credits for training and technology that make them more competitive with larger businesses. CEP is one of the NGO windows through which the PYMES must apply for these subsidies. I have been working with the operations department learning the application procedures for these types of government assistance programs.

I also work with the training department, which sets up government funded training programs for PYMES. Yesterday I got to visit a medium size business that constructs transportable shelters (like those used by oil companies or construction companies on site) it was very interesting to see how the company managed to have one large open warehouse and various sections of development were marked off by signs on the walls. The management was incredibly laid back and very intelligent.

I've also been working with an inventor on two of his latest inventions. One of them is a suspension system built to reduce vibrations transmitted from wheels of a vehicle when driving on an uneven surface. We've had a few meetings with mechanical engineers, formula one mechanics and others to discuss various options for new prototypes and testing. We have patents in Europe for this and are awaiting final word on the US patent. I have been researching and trying to find industrial buyers who are interested in buying the patents and further developing the system as a commercial product. If you are curious check out our website (www.suspensionsaer.com.ar) or I have set up the demonstration video to be viewed on YouTube and Bubbleply. Today I get to learn Dreamweaver so I can help update the English portion of the website.

The other invention is a new type of windmill. This invention is in the development stages but I have done some research on current models for comparative purposes as a larger prototype is designed for testing. (www.teu-sa.com.ar)

I will be starting in the other department soon as the director just returned from a few weeks of vacation where I will get to go with him to various small PYMES and perform a needs assessment and suggest various options for improvement as well as some marketing work.

FSD & Comedor Project
I am excited to have the opportunity to do groundbreaking research with this program. I am in the process of performing a community needs assessment and grant proposal for a project that I hope will make a real difference in the community.

A Comedor (literally dining room) is a government sponsored community center that provides meals to entire communities and after school programs for children. They are located in some of the poorest areas of the country where people live in makeshift homes sometimes without electricity or running water. These Comedors are all over the outskirts of town and they open up daily to provide basic necessities to the immediate community. Some of them have started small businesses within the Comedor for example a sewing cooperative or a bakery, in order to fund some of their community projects. My plan is to work with two Comedors to form their own small businesses. I will gather information about this specific type of business, work directly with them in the areas of finance, marketing, human resources, logistics and operations in order to get them up and running. Most of these "entrepreneurs" do not have much in terms of education and only a few can read. It will be a challenge but what promises to be a very rewarding one if successfully completed. Once complete, I will arrange a small discussion workshop and create simple workbooks for each of the Comedors. I plan to write a large report of my findings in terms of structure of these businesses as well as a needs assessment and a proposal for future interns

Advertisement



6th March 2008

This is great!
Hey Jenn D. Read your entry about work, volunteering and such. Knew a little about what you were doing before but this really explains it all! This sounds like an amazing experience and some real hands-on work! And the Comedor centers sounds so useful to the community. I'm so happy things are going well. Look forward to hearing more!

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb