Bargain e-mail Cafe


Advertisement
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We thought we were really smart, having found an e-mail cafe for only US$1 an hour. The catch is that it runs at the pace of a snail with a bad limp! Oh well, I will have to keep this short...

We’ve been exploring Buenos Aires for the past few days. Went to a graveyard which was VERY creepy. It is where all the rich elite of the city are buried. Instead of your average grave, it is full of huge family vaults, some large enough to be mini-chapels. If you peer through the glass you can see the coffins inside. Some of the more ancient ones had the doors open slightly and we were daring each other to look inside. Many had steps going down deep into the ground, and you could see the many coffins of ancient ancestors stacked up on beams. Lots were tiny, obviously belonging to children and babies. It was really interesting but definitely creepy. The most famous tomb belonged to the family of Eva Peron or “Evita”. It was quite humble compared to others.

Yesterday was the best day. It was scorching hot and we went to the poor outer barrios to see
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

Multicolour buildings at La Boca area, Buenos Aries.
the famous multi-coloured buildings in the area. It was really pretty, just like a picture-postcard. Shame about the multi-coloured bay (due to the huge amounts of oil and garbage!).

In the little plaza near our hostel, we came across a Sunday flea market selling all number of junk. There was “stuff” from all four corners of the world, including a lot of Japanese hangings, dolls etc. The best part was the free tango shows. It rounded off the day nicely. Later we went to an outdoor tango show in the park. It was very subdued compared to the one in Brazil we went to, but nice all the same.

Tonight we are getting an overnight bus to Sierra de la Ventana, about 8 hours south of here. It is supposed to be full of “craggy peaks” and “rounded hills” - a bit of a contradiction, but we’ll see.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb