Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well we arrived in Buenos Aires on Tuesday morning after what seemed like an extremely long flight from Cork, it included a 2 hour stop in Sao Paulo. We checked into a hotel and had to catch up on some sleep, we then headed out to an ´Irish' pub and spent the night mingling with the Argentinians.

Yesterday we walked for hours around the city, stopping off in Plaza de Mayo to look at Casa Rosada, which is a pink building, famous because it is where Juan & Eva Peron made their speeches from. We passed by the Presidential offices, the police presence was unreal. We made our way to La Recoleta, which is one of the more famous landmarks in Buenos Aires. The graves here are like mini houses, you´d pay a fortune for one of them at home! Evita is buried there and there are lots of little notes attached to her door, from people thanking here.

Oh almost forgot to mention one of the highlights of our day was as we left the hostel to begin our walk down town we could hear lots of drums & then we saw a big crowd with banners. As we looked closer there were teenage boys lined up on either side of a pedestrian crossing, with bats in their hands & scarves covering their faces - was a little scary! Later on that evening we saw another protest this was a lot tamer, cause it was all women.

Our Spanish is slowly but surely improving, we really don´t have a choice, their English here is pretty limited, we can now kind of read a menu and understand it. We´re on the move today but as of now, we don´t have a clue where to, it´s definitely south but no destination as yet, so when next I write we´ll see where we end up!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.7kb