Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
August 30th 2011
Published: September 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Old tango dancersOld tango dancersOld tango dancers

The blonde lady on the chair after giving the other lady evil looks got up and moodily cut in.

Buenos Aires



We visited BA three times in total so for ease of reading we have amalgamated our time into one blog entry. We really enjoyed BA, not least because our hostel (Chillhouse) was great; it was also in easy reach of a Starbucks!

The highlights of our trips were as follows:
• La Bomba del Tiempo: a group of drummers go crazy in an old warehouse while the crowd goes nuts. Great atmosphere (plus a fog of cannabis smoke!) although, we only lasted about 45mins before retreating to the bar to watch from a respectable middle aged distance!
• Jonathan’s tour: an English expat does daily tours around the city. On our day we were the only two so we got our own personal tour – great way to see and learn about the city and the transport system.
• Recoleta cemetery: a very extravagant grave yard with personal tombs – some of these tombs would put many cities central monuments to shame. Eva Peron’s tomb was also here.
• San Telmo Sunday market: a huge array of stalls selling everything from paintings to choripans (choritzo sausage in a roll) interspersed with bands and old tango dancing couples.
Carlos GardelCarlos GardelCarlos Gardel

The most famous South American you have never heard of

• La Viruta: with two friends we had met in Salta (Jo and Sam), we went to this tango and salsa club in Palermo. It was a lot of fun, especially as the wine was only £2.50 a bottle (terrible, terrible hangovers all round the next day), and Tory got to try out her tango shoes for the first time. We did at one point have a standoff with each other in the middle of the dance floor. We stood, glowering at one another, while other dancers had to avoid us, until a dance instructor came over in order to get us talking to each other again!
• Starbucks queue: within two hours of arriving in BA we were in an early morning queue to get into Starbucks, or so we thought, it actually turned out to be a queue to obtain Argentinean passports. I guess we need to keep working on our Spanish!

Traveler’s tips: Whenever you do a round trip make sure you leave your big bags at the hostel, it gives you an amazing sense of freedom!

Guilty pleasures: Chinese takeaway!! A night in at the hostel with a takeaway and a movie, we could have been back at home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bigg Beeerr!Bigg Beeerr!
Bigg Beeerr!

Bought 5mins before the start therefore had to be downed before going in - bad planning.
Kosher McDonaldsKosher McDonalds
Kosher McDonalds

- too many photos?
DogDog
Dog

This is the 100 year old mascot of the ship
Jo, Sam, Tory & WillJo, Sam, Tory & Will
Jo, Sam, Tory & Will

They do big shot measures in BA!
La VirutaLa Viruta
La Viruta

Very cheap wine!
Brazil festival!Brazil festival!
Brazil festival!

One for our male reads this one


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb