BUENOS AIRES CHILL TIME


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 5th 2010
Published: January 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The highlight of the last week or so was our trip to the Barbie Shop ... just kidding. But we did go and it was great fun for our Barbie crazed 5 year old daughter. She came away with a new Barbie doll to boot.

No, the highlight was our trip to the zoo. Not only was there a spectacular collection of animals, including elephants, white tiger, black panther, giraffes, rhino, hippos - you name it they had it - but the buildings and enclosures were the original Victorian themed ones. While the paint was flaking and they needed a bit of TLC they were so beautiful and unique.

The week passed by quickly, with numerous swims, barbecues, movies and walks. Amy made friends with Delfina, a 9 year old girl who spoke very good English. Loads of time was spent planning and booking our trip to Patagonia and we found most accommodations already completely booked.

We indulged only once in one of the fantastic restaurants surrounding us in Palermo - but what a restaurant! La Cabrera is a bit infamous for its steak menu. We opted for the Kobe/Wagyu steak, nice and marbled and very, very tasty.
The Barbie StoreThe Barbie StoreThe Barbie Store

Indulging Amy
With it came countless side dishes and condiments, too many for even us to finish. We walked (or rather waddled) out of there a bit lighter in the pocket, but very satisfied.

Today, our last day, we went to Recoleta Cemetaria, last resting place of the great Eva Peron, along with hundreds if not thousands of other important/rich/popular people. The mausoleums were impressive and majestic, some were almost as big as a church. It was a city of tombs and we walked for a couple of hours amongst them. Eva Peron was buried with her husband and his family in one of the less ostentatious buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Is it an Argentinian Beaver?  Is it an Argentinian Beaver?
Is it an Argentinian Beaver?

Not sure, but there were dozens of them at the Zoo just wandering about hoping to be fed.
A bit of a follyA bit of a folly
A bit of a folly

The windows and roof are painted on a plain wall of the building. It's so well done you wouldn't notice it until it is pointed out.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb