Es para vos...


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A new kind of Equation: If Fireworks=pride and pride=sense of identity then the Greater the fireworks the greater the sense of identity

“Fireworks take many forms to produce the four primary effects: noise, light, smoke, and floating materials (confetti for example).”-A simple and effective definition taken from the ever-reliable Wikipedia, fireworks are just that and provide entertainment to people of all ages. Further more they are a nearly universal symbol of celebration, from China to the United States and yes finally to Argentina. For most Americans it is safe to say the idea of fireworks inspires first and foremost memories of Independence Day. To the Chinese fireworks would be associated with the Chinese New Year. Now, for myself and for many Boca Juniors fans, the idea of fireworks will forever be connected to Boca Games.
What these events all have in common is even more interesting than the fireworks, and that is a common, uniting cause. These uniting causes provide an identity, not in the sense of individuality, but rather association, for those people to whom the idea or event applies. Even for the least patriotic Americans it is difficult not to have some sense of identity established from Fourth of July. The same is inevitably true after experiencing a Boca game in La Bombonero, even as an outsider it was impossible not to be caught up in the sense of unity and passion within the stadium. And my first thoughts were that this display of loyalty and excitement far surpassed not only any game I had ever been to also many of those put on for the Fourth of July. For me this was the “ahha-moment” that maybe this soccer-identity relationship concept was more than a fun theory to explore. If fireworks on the Fourth of July in the United States are a display of the identity of a people then it is safe to say that the sense of identity instilled on Boca fans by their team equals if not surpasses that felt by Americans.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb