Buenos Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
January 15th 2006
Published: May 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Walking Walking WalkingWalking Walking WalkingWalking Walking Walking

We walked our asses off in BsAs! But look how pretty the tree-lined streets are.
Palermo. Avenue Cordoba. Daniel Wasser Spanish School (DWS). Tango lessons. We walked all over the entire city. We walked to the point of collapse- up and down Ave. Sante Fe, in lieu of taking the subte (subway).

We shopped- stores, stores, stores, from Recoleta and the city´s microcenter all the way back to Palermo. Nearer our apt. in Palermo, on the country-named streets (Guatemala, El Salvador) we found the best stores for us- fashionable boutiques selling the cutest summer clothes for rock bottom prices.

It rained nearly every day, and when not raining it was sweltering. I liked San Telmo even more than Palermo, and Belgrano is nearly as livable. We walked from the antique market in San Telmo on Sunday after a long, long Saturday of walking in Uruguay (Colonia) and a windy, windy afternoon at the beach there. Since we missed our ferry due to a time difference of which we had no clue (in the entire country of Argentina, there is only one time zone- we weren’t prepared for a little country across a river to have a different one), it took us hours to get back, but I slept.

As for Tango, we saw
Tango ShowTango ShowTango Show

The real thing.
a show, went to an authentic Melonga club, and I took lessons for 3 or 4 days. It's much harder than salsa. With Spanish classes every week day also, I hardly had time to be a tourist.

Martha and I delayed our departure to play with the three brothers, and Juan, and David. We went out one night until 8 the next morning to a sketchy suburban night club! They say Portenos (people who live in BA) are night owls and its true-- they don’t even eat dinner until 10 or 11…Beware of cussing though- they don’t seem to have the sailor mouths of Americans, Kiwis, Australians, and most Europeans. Don't learn the hard way by asking the wrong person how tell someone off in Spanish even if you think it's a fair query...



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The LG Tango ShowThe LG Tango Show
The LG Tango Show

Not so real thing.
Mas CarneMas Carne
Mas Carne

More meat-- Can those girls eat beef or what? It took some time, but by end of BsAs visit, I think Julie and I could keep up with Martha.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb