BA


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
August 10th 2003
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires ("Good Airs" in Spanish, originally meaning "Fair Winds") is the capital of Argentina and its largest city and port, as well as one of the largest cities in Latin America. The people of Buenos Aires are known as porteños ("people of the port"), acknowledging the major historical importance of the port in the development of the city and the whole nation.


Buenos Aires is, in a certain way, a metaphor for Argentina. Its streets and surroundings gather over half of the country's population and represent its political, economic and cultural heart. It was home for Argentine writers Jorge Luis Borges, Adolfo Bioy Casares, Ernesto Sábato and Victoria Ocampo. And Maria Eva Duarte (Evita Peron), Carlos Gardel (a synonym of tango ), latin American revolutionary and political leader Ernesto Guevara de la Serna, not to mention Diego Armando Maradona, soccer player, world champion in 1986, awarded three times the best South American player (1979, 1980 and 1986) and considered one of the best soccer players of all times!!!


This metropolis has its own identity and is open to world architecture, culture and art; it is cosmopolitan and controversial, dynamic and traditional, historical and avant-gardist.
The city
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

La Boca is a popular destination for tourists, with its colourful houses and main street, the Caminito. As if in protest over the years of decline, residents here have painted their houses in slashing cubist colours: red, blue, yellow, orange. Place of culture, passionate tango and a home of Boca Juniors, one of South America's top football clubs.
is also plenty of tourist attractions: monuments, churches, museums, art galleries and theaters; squares, parks and gardens; modern shopping malls and antique fairs; budget and first-class hotels; regional restaurants and international cuisine; besides the ever-present enchantment tango brings.


“Paris of the South” is trying to reestablish the world prominence it once had, while its citizens remain the spirited and outgoing people they have always been. It’s a place of politics and struggle and a city that has seen better days. And so its residents are a little sad and melancholy, perhaps, yet in spite of it all still determined to enjoy the good life. They giggle in the parks, dine out on great shanks of beef, follow the passion of soccer, and dance the haunting tango far into the night.

Contradictions and curiosities are everywhere.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

TangoTango
Tango

Argentine tango is regarded as the "authentic" tango since it is closest to that originally danced in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Because of its dramatic feeling and rich opportunities for improvisation on the eternal topic of love, they say: “When you dance tango you must give everything. Wait for the right music, and then give EVERYTHING. If you can't do that, do not dance.”
La Recoleta CemeteryLa Recoleta Cemetery
La Recoleta Cemetery

The fashionable area around the cemetery is home to some of the city's wealthiest citizens, who frown on the "wrong" people (Eva Perón, for example) being buried there next to some of the country's most influential people including a number of presidents and political leaders.... So, Evita where are you?
Architecture Architecture
Architecture

very stylish
caféscafés
cafés

stylish as well
Obelisco de Buenos AiresObelisco de Buenos Aires
Obelisco de Buenos Aires

It stands on Avenida 9 de Julio, one of the worlds´widest avenues.
red apples red apples
red apples

a favorite snack for Argentineans
sweetssweets
sweets

or you want something sweeter?
LlamaLlama
Llama

you can have a ride on llama right there in the center of BA!


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb