Estamos aqui in Buenos Aires!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 9th 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos. We made it to Argentina! Heidi and I were so excited to touch ground at the Buenos Aires airport. We had to stand in the customs line for an hour and a half, but it was worth it. After only a day and a half, we are having so much fun. Our hotel turned out to be conveniently located in the theater district. Upon arrival, we immediately went to find some empanadas, which cost a mere $1 each. After a nap we headed out to a tango show at the famous Teatro Tortoni. They put on an amazing show (only $24). There were three pairs of dancers and a full band. It was like a short musical. Afterwards we had coffee upstairs and made friends with the waiter who let us take pictures on stage after the show was over.

Today we visited the San Telmo area. They have an antique market there on Sundays. The street vendors line the "calles" to sell whatever they can make with their hands - cups to drink yerba mate, wool sweaters, hand carved salds spoons, etc. We slipped into a small leather shop where I bought a fun belt and Heidi picked up a leather purse. Then we took a recommendation from a friend and ate at a tasty parilla (grill) across the street. We tried a local dish called Milanesa, which is the southern version of country fried steak. Afterwards we continued to the Playa de Mayo which is where the Casa Rosada is located. The Casa Rosada is the pink colored state building where Evita gave her speeches to the people of Buenos Aires. It is also the scene of many protests including "las madres de los desaparecidos" who are mothers still protesting almost 30 years later the disappearance of their sons and daughters during the dirty war of the early 1908´s in Argentina.

Tonight we are leaving our plans in the hands of the cute guy working the front desk who has promised to send us to a good place to eat and a fun bar for afterwards.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Casa Rosada BalconyCasa Rosada Balcony
Casa Rosada Balcony

This is where Eva Person gave her famous speeches


10th November 2008

hola!
empanadas for a dollar?!?! yummy!!! Have a blast - keep the blogs coming in....
11th November 2008

Thanks for blogging
I love to read travel books because I love to travel. Reading about some of the adventures of people I know is great. Keep it up and continue with the fun and history.

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb