Buenos Aires, family, tango and dulce de leche


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
October 17th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In Buenos Aires we stayed with my cousin Maria, the daughter of my (Alice) dad's brother who emigrated here when he was very young.

It was great to spend some time with her and her brother Enrique and see how they live and after their visits to Italy it was about time that somebody from the Italian part of the family came to Argentina. Paul and I had a fantastic time with them and they introduced us to some aspects of Argentinian life like asado (barbecue meat and lots of it!), tango... and dulce de leche (a kind of liquid toffee) to which I have become addicted! It was a great to get to know each other better and their warmth and generosity, which seems to be a characteristic of most Argentinians, made our stay really pleasant and relaxing.

We lived like "normal people" again, doing normal stuff like cooking, shopping, relaxing at home...We also took some tango lessons and volunteered in an NGO, L.I.F.E. () which helps children in the poor barrios of Buenos Aires, helping them with learning, playing, celebrating their birthdays and so on. It was a great experience to be able to give some love and attention to these adorable children.

Buenos Aires offers millions of things to do and we took advantage of it. We visited most of the nice quarters like Boca (the Italian quarter with the stinky river Riochacuelo), Recoleta, the artistic quarter where the famous cemetery is and where we saw the tomb of Evita Peron; San Telmo, the old quarter where tango dancers dance on the square, Puerto Madeiro on the Rio del Plata with renovated old warehouses now transformed into restaurants, shops and even a university. We went to a jazz concert of the Bad Plus, an American band that Paul likes and to an opera with music of Piazzolla. We had dinner in Palermo, the "in quarter", yes we lived like real PorteƱos!

Thanks Maria, Estela, Martina, Diego, Enrique and Alejandro for making our stay so special and for your generosity and warmth!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Argentinian iconsArgentinian icons
Argentinian icons

The Perons and of course Diego Maradona


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb