BUENOS AIRES


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
September 24th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Known as Capital Federal. This city has a lot of magic and charm, but remains a big city like Paris, Madrid, London........
Coming from the provinces, the city is a bit intimidating. The bus terminal in itself is a village. We need to make our way to our hostel.The Hostel Clan! We are here for 2 and 1/2 days.
Nice place, the Clan. We managed to get ourselves a private quarter at the same price as a dorm. Niiice!
As we check in at 8.00am, we take a shower and wait for our room while we are having the best breakfast we ever had in South America. We are used to have tiny croissants and coffee, now we get fresh French baguette, jam, butter, cereals, bananas, oranges. Great!!!
After settling into our rooms, we head to San Telmo where there is an Antiques Fair taking place. It´s not just antiques, but there are street artists playing, Tango dancing and street orchestra. It adds a lot of charm to the place.
Going back to the hostel, we quickly make friends. That´s the nature with BA. There are quick moments when you socialise with people and the memories are forever. In the evening, Renata was in her elements as she started playing guitar. We meet people from all across the globe in an instant and that´s the magic of it.
The following day, we go and discover BA. By bicycle. The Clan gives bikes, for free, to discover BA. We went through the whole city, riding through its main arteries without being runover by buses, lorries or pedestrians. How? I don´t know.
Anyway, first was Puerto Madero. A chic place, by the docks. Very pristine place, with lots of cafes all along the promenade leading to "Puente de la Mujer" ( woman´s bridge ). Nice piece of architecture.
Then we went to "La Recoleta" and its many parks, church and its famous cemetary where Evita is buried amongst other notable figures in Argentine history. As a reward to our cycling efforts, we indulge ourselves into an exquisite ice cream from the most expensive area of BA. Heavenly!!!
We head to Palermo, visit around but it´s getting darker. and we are getting hungry.
We give the bikes back and head for San Telmo where were recommended a nice, down to earth, not overpriced restaurant where they serve one of the best steaks in town. Has to be done!
Renata orders an Asado, I order "Mollejas": Sweetbreads! Mummmmm!!!!
I haven´t had calf brains for ages!!!!! What´s more. It came recommended, as the waiter said that I could do with some extra intelligence. Bastard! The meal was finished off with a nice bottle of red. Lovely!

Today, we are leaving BA as the show must go on. We are heading towards the south, on yet another long bus journey, this one being the longest yet. 17 hours. To Puerto Madryn, north of Patagonia. Where we will see one of the most amazing things we ever seen in our lives yet. The endangered Southern Right Whale. It is the breeding season. Thousands of them gather in the "Golfo Nuevo" in the "Peninsula Valdes" to make babies. Also on the show; Sea lions, Orkas, Penguins and much more. We hope they don´t miss their appointment. Exciting stuff! Can´t wait.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dog walker Dog walker
Dog walker

very common sight on the streets of BA


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb