Goodbye Bahia Blanca


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Bahía Blanca
November 5th 2007
Published: November 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lesson Time at Collegio San MartinLesson Time at Collegio San MartinLesson Time at Collegio San Martin

One of the afternoon classes in session. The students were eager to show me their work.
Mon 5th Nov:
Checked out of the hotel, but left the rucksacks there for storage. ´Had a walkabout and did some domestic shopping. Also bought a magnetic omnibus card to get out to the coach station where I purchased an overnight ticket to Neuquen (West Argentina). I noticed with a bit of shopping around that different companies compete for the same routes, so prices varied. I leave at 10:00 pm and should arrive about 5:00 on Tuesday morning.
At 2:00pm Raul picked me up from the hotel and we went to his school (Collegio de San Martin). It´s an inclusive school which takes children from 6 to 16. The school day is quite different to the UK system as the older students (12-16) attend in the morning from 8:00 to 12:00, and the younger ones in the afternoon from 1:00 to 5:00. The school had a lovely informal and relaxed atmosphere about it. The students and staff were very friendly and helpful. Many of the students were very curious about England, the UK football teams and UK pop music groups. They were also eager to show me their work. In Argentine schools the day begins with the students assembled in the
Afternoon Break TimeAfternoon Break TimeAfternoon Break Time

Break time in the middle of the afternoon session. The students use the central playground area or play football in one of the large indoor halls.
playground for a song while they raise the national flag; a similar exercise takes place at the end of the school day for the lowering of the flag. All students wear a school uniform. In Raul´s school parents contribute 20% of the school funding (if they can afford it). Progression through the classes is determined by end of year exam results. Incidentally their academic year begins in March and ends in December.
Soon after the lowering of the flag assembly, Raul left me back at the hotel. I had a bite to eat, organised my gear and made my way to the coach station.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Time for a RestTime for a Rest
Time for a Rest

These two students prefer to just sit and chat during the break. Note the black and white check school uniform.
Teachers´ Break TimeTeachers´ Break Time
Teachers´ Break Time

The teachers also have their break out in the playground where they can keep an eye on the students, while they have some mate.
End of School Day Assembly End of School Day Assembly
End of School Day Assembly

All the staff and students assemble at the end of the day for a song while the national flag is lowered.
The National FlagThe National Flag
The National Flag

When the flag is taken off the flag-pole four students fold it and take it to the office, ready for the next assembly the following morning.
Introduction to MateIntroduction to Mate
Introduction to Mate

(The following photos are with the complements of Raul and Patricia and are a selection from those taken on our trip to the Sierras) No, it´s not what you think; this was my first taste of mate - the traditional SA drink. It was not as bitter as I expected and quickly grew to get a taste for it.
Sierra VentanaSierra Ventana
Sierra Ventana

You can see the hole in the mountain peak which presents a great view, giving its name the window mountain.
Route StudyRoute Study
Route Study

The three of us studying our route in the local museum of the national park.
Austin´s New FriendAustin´s New Friend
Austin´s New Friend

At the museum there was a range of stuffed animals typical of those in the national park. Austin´s friend is a small armadillo.
Llamas in the WildLlamas in the Wild
Llamas in the Wild

A great variety of wildlife could be seen in the national park. The llamas were grazing not far from the side of the road.
Splash!Splash!
Splash!

On our way through the national park we went through a ford - an ideal photo opportunity.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb