Somerset House


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
September 19th 2017
Published: September 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

King's Cross  King's Cross  King's Cross

....timed the trip to the train station that I would have to make with pack on back ....made sure I could do it by bus...no up and downing in the tube.
Just lost an hours work on this blog... one would think that after 30 years writing on the computer one would remember to save regularly ... at least every time the fingers stop to let the brain think....like now... back to September 19, 2017

It had been decided some time back that Gil, ( who I had met on the Anchorage to Rio trek) and I would meet up and do something exciting. We decided to meet at the Seaman's Hall Info desk of Somerset House. Neither one of us had ever been there.. I would go early to pick up tickets for the free afternoon tour of historic Somerset. To get into the building I had to run the gaundlet of fashonistas. It was Fashion week in London and there was more than one fshion house putting on the ritz. While waiting for Gil to give her the news that there would be no 13.30 free tour because the tour guide was sick I watches ensemles of clothes that only tall thin with no boosom figures could wear. Almost ALL of these leggy things wore four inch heels....15 centimeters just doesn't seem to sound right.

So no tour...now what. "Somerset House takes its name from the palace built on the south side of the Strand by the Duke of Somerset, Edward VI’s Protector, and his steward Sir John Thynne. The first building programme ended with Somerset’s impeachment and execution in 1552. The old palace stood until the last quarter of the eighteenth century, when it was gradually demolished to make way for the present building, Sir William Chambers’ neoclassical ‘palace’. But although palatial in appearance from the outside, the internal arrangements of Chambers’ building are on a much smaller scale. It was built for the learned societies as a ‘home of useful learning and the polite arts’, and for departments of state such as the Navy Board and various revenue-raising departments. Inside, most of the building is configured as a series of offices and meeting rooms leading off corridors and staircases." from History Today Magazine,Sept9,2001

We decided to visit the http://courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/collection. "The Courtauld Gallery, open to the public daily, famous for its iconic Impressionist and Post-Impressionist masterpieces, as well as numerous other important paintings and works of art from the Renaissance through to the 20th century. Its research based temporary exhibitions are small in scale, and designed to offer both pleasure
Staircase to Exhibit -Courtland collectionStaircase to Exhibit -Courtland collectionStaircase to Exhibit -Courtland collection

The stair case is flat on one side and oval on the other....quite unusual.
to the eye and stimulation for the mind."from their website. It was an absolutely amazing surprise to see what they had hanging on their walls. I was flabergasted and overjoyed that we made this visit.Who knew I would see Manet’s A Bar at the Folies-Bergère and Van Gogh’s Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear. ...quick ....which ear did he cut off??

After doing justice to the collection we walked along the quay and anticipated a river ride down the Thames to Greenwhich.This is featured as alternative transport while in London. Who knew it could be so exhorbitant. Even with her Freedom Card Gil would have had to pay extra. My Oyster Card was swiped to make sure I had enough money loade on it. Did not take us long to decide that 12GBP to ride up and down a shor tway on the Thames was worth it... ok if the trip had been all the way the.....https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-thames-barrier> 25 Apr 2014 - The Thames Barrier spans 520 metres across the River Thames near Woolwich, and it protects 125 square kilometres of central London from flooding caused by tidal surges .... that would have been price worthy. But to go to Greenich, where I have already been to see the mean time bronze strip, just to view the now refurbished Maritime Museum was not worth it. And what is in the Maritime Museum besides statues to British Naval Glory, Wellington, Nelson, and various colonioalists and the little marine machines they used to explore the empire. It is probably a fantastic display but not on this day.




Instead we went to lunch. And we found the Wellington ...."Famous for a general who defeated napoleon and became prime minister.

You will find The Wellington in Strand London within a short stroll of Aldwych, Covent Garden and Burleigh Street - however you won't find another like it.

Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food. With a fascinating past our pub dates from 1903 and is well known for featuring an atractive neo-gothic exterior. We retain many lovely original features such as our long wooden bar. We are of course named after Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, whose historic victory over Napoleon in 1815 ended the Napoleonic Wars. We sit next to Covent Garden, a name derived from the 'Convent Garden' which belonged to Westminster Abbey. The Wellington is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere."direct from their web site.

And what did we eat at this Famous place... why quinao and rice salad with a stout beer and macaroni and cheese witha soft drink. Olives and garlic bread came with the drinks.The place was absolutely lovely.

A bus ride to the British Library was next on the list. We never got there. I confused British Library with British Museum and because of taking the bus in the wrong direction we were back to where we started.

Well there was nothing for it but to have a pot of tea ... and along with that an amaretto cheesecake. We deserved it.

While we were having tea, Gil offered to get the tickets online for the Cezanne exhibit in November. That means we will meet again and have another exciting adventure.



Post Script- Sept 25 .... Its raining outside. Good opportunity to catch up to all blogs ... well there is Newcastle .. think I will slip that in with my last day in London ... I am going to the post office to mail extra stuff I will not need. Have to visit Pharmacy to get something to soothe the cough...exactly the one I came home with from China...Pollution???. The B&B guy is doing my laundry and I am waiting to fold it. It is now 14.37.Not waiting any more. Have been invited to dinner by a woman that I approached this morning asking directions to the B&B. Hope you did not find"flowers should be nice" somewhere above ... will bring some to dinner.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb