Nov. 7th: Monday.. I think?


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
November 7th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

27 10.69 S
176 59.51 E

Winds: 12 true (18 apparent) S 200
Seas: 8-10 feet (rollers)
Speed 8.0 knots
Course: 225

Crew: All sleeping: Cyrus and I on deck

Comments:

Yesterday's seas were not so comfortable, making everything more difficult and tempting to avoid.. such as sitting at a computer.

This morning I woke before sunrise and walked on deck. Peter is bundled in shirts and sweatshirts, jeans and ipod. I hear him singing and whistling from the helm. The seas are large but with a long period, so we are sailing up and down hills.. storm clouds are in the distance to our East but blowing rain on us. I see Peter's face.. he smiles and I can see he is about to say something important.

Now for those of you who do not know Peter.. one of my favorite things about him is that you NEVER know what might come out of his mouth. So as I make my way across the deck, I think.. this could be either "good morning Brooke" or he could find a way to tell me about the decomposition time of a buried egg and somehow relate that to something he read about Egyptian carbon dating. Anything is possible out of Peter's mouth. He grins at me "EVERYTHING about this sail is PERFECT." he states happily. We love his enthusiasm. We do have good wind and we are moving along, nearing 9 knots frequently while heading into the seas, so that isn't bad. Compared to yesterday, yes.. it is pretty perfect. I smile and agree.

A fuzzy orange sunrise greeted Cyrus and I and I found myself thinking of my mom. I remember loving when she would take our sheets and flap them up into the air, then let them fall gently on top of us, covering us completely, when she would tuck us into bed. Right now, a silver grey sheet of ocean being flapped up and laid across the ocean.. we are sailing up and over the fabric.. it truly looks very similar... and I am smiling.. thinking of my mom .. and Paige, my sister, who loved it as much as me.

Good morning from a much colder Pacific.. gloves and hats have been dusted off... each day it grows colder~

Brooke


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1000.6kb