Oct. 9th: The Niueans.


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 9th 2011
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Niue is pronounced New-ee.

Niueans. Our pilgrimage to Middle Earth has brought us to a land that has a very special life form on it.. the Niueans. 😊 Sounds very fantastical or like a tribe from a different planet doesn't it? That is why we say the word Niueans as much as possible.😊 Like in the movies, the Niueans lived in the caves. Their homes were cathedrals of sculpted beauty... one room for sleeping, one for cooking, one for gathering... through the test of time, these caverns have stood as strong beautiful homes for them. Then the missionaries came. Yep, they fixed that! No 'civilized' people should live like that! Niueans now live in cement based small homes with tin roofs that tend to blow off with every tropical storm. Niueans do not live in the caves. I saw the caves. I would live there.

Niue is a hidden paradise. Hidden because most people do not know where it is or that it exists. It is one of the smallest self-governed countries in the world (if not the smallest) and even most travel agents couldn't tell you a thing about it. Hidden... because equal beauty lies below the surface. Limestone caves dripping with silken grace twist, turn and expand just below the surface of the forest floor... along the coasts and beneath the waves. The island that looked like a green disc from the distance is actually a lush world sparkling with emerald pools lit by skylights within caverns. Protected forests where fruit bats hang and giant coconut crabs climb. Freshwater and salt, gorges that have fortress like walls, but if you walk the maze correctly, you will be treated to a sandy palm oasis or clear fresh water pool teeming with fish and fresh water prawns. We hiked along coastline that looks like a Gothic city of dark spires piercing the sky, only to find steps into crystal clear tide pools. Caverns you can swim in and pirate ladders leading us into hidden palm groves where we explored and ate fresh coconut. The commodore, took us out for the day and showed us only a few of their hidden treasures and each and every location, we had to peel ourselves away. Archways curl over blue lagoons and as we swim through the lagoons and under the sculptures, striped sea snakes curiously swim to us (quite exciting if you didn't know they were there). The natural beauty of the place is in your face, yet, take a closer look... peak around that corner, scurry up that rock, sneak down into the earth and what you find is breath taking. This place is absolutely awe inspiring. It is a playground for the adventurous and a feast for the senses. If you need signs, paved roads and handrails.. this is not the place for you. There are no traffic lights, no cities... but if you want seclusion, rugged nature and an inspirational natural experience. Niue.

I believe I sound like a travel promo... so I will add.. it is only a 3 hour international direct flight from New Zealand. There, now I have completed my infomercial.

Believe it or not, my description barely scratches the surface... and I did that for a reason. It feels hidden and should remain that way for those of you who decide you need to explore such an unusual and spectacular land. This is a sort of place that should be experienced, and I cannot do it justice with words.


We are doing a bit of boat work this morning, clearing out of the country and then Colby, Cyrus & I are doing a dive nearby. Cannot wait to explore the caverns below the sea...

Brooke



Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.2362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb