Day 13


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 11th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This is day 13 and definitely a lucky number for us.  All day at sea today so nowhere to go and nothing to do.  We skipped breakfast and for an excellent reason.  We needed to be hungry for lunch so we filled our morning with a trip to the onboard cinema and watched The King's Speech.  Neither of us had seen this film before and we were both enchanted by it.  We both blubbed at the end but were not alone as there was quite a chorus of noses being blown when the lights went up.  I was extra sad to see Colin Firth leave my eyesight - he really is a very nice piece of eye candy for a lady of my age!

Then lunch.  And it really was a bit special.  Apparently it only happens once per cruise and all the restaurants get together to serve an amazing buffet complete with lots of ice sculptures and an amazing array of food.  Richard was in a very happy place as there was a wonderful choice of sushi so he had 2 platefuls of that, 2 prawn cocktails and a pudding.  I had 1 prawn cocktail and a small helping of sushi so that I had room for some marvellous fillet mignon for a main course.  Both of us then fell firmly off the diabetic path for puddings but they really did prove too irresistible ... so we didn't resist at all!

We dozed lunch off around the pool and enjoyed a lovely long dunk to cool off.  Spent the back end of the afternoon back in our cabin and watched another film - Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera.  And then, as always, we ended the day with a wonderful dinner.  As tonight was our last formal dress night of this cruise, dinner was extra special.  We've made friends with two wonderful ladies on the ship and dinner has become a really enjoyable highlight of each day.  Plus tonight's food was extra special too with soft shelled crab to start.  Neither of us had eaten this before and it was weird to be eating every bit of a crab, including even the claws.  Weird but also wonderful.  The whole lobster tail that we had for our main course was brilliant too.  We enjoyed ourselves so much we gave the main show in the theatre a miss and, according to our neighbours, we made the right choice!  The entertainment on board is great in parts and blinking awful in others.  Glass blowing brilliant.  Theatre bits invariably amateurish.  Some little chinks of brilliance but great swathes of ordinariness or awfulness up on that stage!

Tomorrow is our last port of call: La Coruna in Spain.  It's a religious festival there tomorrow so all the shops will be shut but all the bars and restaurants will be open.  Can't see any problems with that, can you?!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.437s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 4; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb