The best 10 things i've seen on this planet


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
October 18th 2010
Published: November 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Having read an article recently in The Age about the best places to see, and just having visited my 35th country, I thought I would reflect on my favourite 10 things i've seen.

My List:

1. Machu Picchu, Peru


Can't go past it as the best place i've seen on this earth. The conditions were perfect the morning that we finished our 4 day Inca trail hike through the cloudforest and the mystique of the abandoned city is amazing. The ruins are so perfectly preserved that it is hard to believe.

2. Las Vegas, USA


I'm showing my hand for not being very cultured here, but nothing has that "wow" factor that stepping out onto the Last Vegas strip has. And where else in the world can you ride a Venecian Gondola, go into the Egyptian pyramids and see the Eiffel tower all on the same night whilst being given free drinks for gambling away your life savings. It's amazing!

3. Uyuni desert, Bolivia


A natural wonder that is so unbelievably striking and blinding that it makes no sense. The salt flats are unlike anything else on earth - completely overwhelming and impossible to describe.

4. Blue Lagoon, Iceland


Another place where when you first see it, your mind is blown away. Iceland has some of the most unstable earth in the world and the blue lagoon bubbles away and warms the ice cold air of Iceland. A couple of hours soaking in the amazing surrounds of the lagoon is fantastic.

5. A-Bomb Dome and Hiroshima Park, Japan


I've been to both Pearl Harbour and Hiroshima and also seen war sites in Belgium and other parts of Europe but nothing compares to Hiroshima, it is truly an amazing place and an amazing experience. The park is very well done, not tacky or touristy, not overloaded with monuments, just very simple and the huge dome being left untouched as it was left standing being at the epicentre of the bomb really is quite something.

6. Anzac Cove, Turkey


Maybe more significant as an Aussie, but the sheer cliffs of Anzac cove that tower above the sea need to be seen to be believed in terms of understanding what it was like for the troops that landed in the cove in 1915.

7. Acropolis, Athens, Greece


Ancient structures on the hilltop of central Athens are spectacular for so many reasons, but just their age is astounding to begin with, a must see.

8. Fitz Roy mountain range, El Chalten, Argentina


Disneyland for hikers, the glaciers, mountains and lagoons of El Chalten are so picturesque and tranquil - another very unique part of the world.

9. Vatican City


I'm not religious, but it is hard not to be moved by the spiritual home of the Catholic church, adorned with so many amazing pieces of art, paintings and chapels that are immaculate.

10. Great Ocean Road, Australia


The more I see of the world and the more I see places claim to have great beaches that really don't, the more I realise that the Great Ocean Road contains so many of the best beaches in the world and really is the gem of Australia. Not that I am biased at all!

Hopefully I get 10 more just as great in the next few years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



2nd December 2010

this is a good list
Hey thanks for this. It's a good list, and that means more places for me to visit. I only have 4 out of your 10.

Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb