A Guide to the Best Chocolate in the World


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas
December 1st 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The following is a running compilation of local chocolatiers we have discovered in different cities around the world. Please feel free to post comments with your own opinions or recommendations. We have additionally listed cities where we have tried local chocolatiers but were not impressed.

United States



Madison, WI - David Bacco Chocolats - located in the upscale Hilldale Shopping Center across from Robert Redford's Sundance Cinemas, a great artisanal shop where most of the chocolates are wonderful and flavorful. Avoid the spiced and liqueur varieties, they overwhelm the chocolate. They have just brought in new boxes to replace the flimsy cartons they used to provide. The way David classifies his chocolates is very similar to that of Richart in Paris - following the flavor profile.

Columbus, OH - Pistacia Vera - located in German Village, so we welched, they don't serve chocolates particularly here but their macarons are amazing, a competition to Laduree's in Paris, and they have terrific desserts (some of chocolate). A beautiful new building designed by Jonathan Barnes is a perfect complement to a tea and patisseries.

Cincinnati, OH - no contenders.

Chicago, IL - no contenders.

New York, NY - no contenders. Fauchon closed on Park Avenue in NYC, wandered around looking for the store on last trip in beginning of December. La Maison du Chocolat is no good, the French chocolatiers below have not established locations yet.

Minneapolis, MN - Karl Bissinger - located in Edina's Galleria, they call themselves "French Chocolates" because the gentleman's ancestors apparently won a prize in the 17th century for producing great chocolate in Paris and following served the Kings of France. What a load of BS of course. There is nothing French about these other than a claim there are no unnatural ingredients. The milk chocolate is pretty bad but they have some creative pieces in Russel Stover style.

France



Paris - Laduree - see our specific blog Paris Day 1: Best Chocolate in the World

Paris - Patrick Roger - see our specific blog Paris Day 1: Best Chocolate in the World

Paris - Jean-Paul Hevin - see our specific blog Paris Day 1: Best Chocolate in the World

Advertisement



12th January 2009

Kelowna, BC, Canada
If you ever come to Kelowna, you must try the hand crafted chocolates at Annegret's in the Towne Centre Mall on Bernard Avenue. The ganaches in particular are amazing.
12th May 2012

This was a delightful read. I'll have to stick with ordering my chocolate from The Chocolate Book until I can travel to these places!

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.8kb