Pitcairn


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
August 21st 2015
Published: August 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 156 Tuesday 18 August

At sea continuing on a course of 276 degrees towards Pitcairn Island

23c cloudy



Did Zumba after breakfast then Gail walked and I went on the internet and opened my account with the ship's server only to find that I did not get the 1000 free minutes that Gail got when she opened her account when we got on but only 500 minutes. This is because the leg to New York was one "cruise" and from there to Sydney a second "Cruise" with 500 minutes each cruise. Still 1500 free minutes will meet our needs. Gail went to choir then we had a cup of coffee and played cards.



After cards we watched a movie called "Divergent" rubbish. Then dinner and to a show by Trevor Knight in which he sang John Denver songs. He says he knew him personally.



We had a dance in the Wheelhouse Bar then went to the Crooners Bar to listen to the pianist. Some of the other entertainers were there as they have boon on since Lima as there has been no opportunity to fly them out. One if them, Andy Joy, took over the piano and played and sang the music he likes rather than the commercial stuff he puts in his shows. It was really good to listen to. Late to bed.



I finished "The Secret Man" by Bob Woodward which was about the Watergate inside man they called "Deep Throat".



Day 157 Wednesday 19 August

Pitcairn Island

25c, showers, warm sunny spells strong winds at time.



At about 9.30am Pitcairn Island came into view and we could see the longboat coming out. There were a lot of people up at the front of the ship to see the island which is very rugged and to watch the progress of the longboat. A bonus was the two whales that were broaching and blowing between us and the longboat. Best whale viewing Gail and I have ever had.



The Captain moved the ship to give the longboat a lee from the wind so they could board the ship. Luckily they boarded on the port side so we could watch them from our balcony unload all their gear and then climb up the rope ladders and into the ship. There were about 35 of the 47 people who live on the Island in the longboat. Only the very young and the older people stayed ashore.



One of them, an Englishman who has been living on the Island since 2000, gave a talk in the theatre about life on Pitcairn which was really interesting. It is a British overseas territory so funded from London but the administrative centre is in Auckland. A supply boat comes from New Zealand every three months so they have to order everything they need in advance. Sea is the only way to get on or off the Island as there is no flat land for a landing strip and it is out of range for helicopters as it is 300 kilometres from the nearest populated centre. The supplies arrive in 6x6x6 metre containers and they unload the boat at sea into the two longboats they have as there is no safe harbour for anything larger than the longboats which are about 20metres long. They have a deep keel and they use a system of a false deck and detachable seats to get all the goods and people out to the ships.



They have electricity from 7.00am till 10pm from a diesel generator and internet, satellite TV and phone connection but no radio. There is a school for the 5 children aged from 5 to 15. The curriculum is New Zealand as is the teacher. The doctor (for 47 people) is from Tasmania. They set up a market on the pool deck and sold all sorts of souvenirs including Pitcairn Island stamped post cards which had to be posted with them before they left the ship to go ashore then be given to the supply ship when it comes to be taken from there to New Zealand to be redirected. We bought two at US$3 each and sent one to Germany and one to the Kerchers. It will be interesting to see when they arrive.



After the markets were finished they sang a couple of farewell songs with the usual Pacific Islander harmonies and boarded the longboat and went back to the island. We then did a complete navigation of the Island and then set off for Tahiti.



We talked to Margaret and Geoff up on deck for a while then read and watched some tennis on TV. We met Mark and Christine for a pre dinner drink then after dinner watched the production "Talk of the Town". It was good. The cast are doing a great job despite being three members down.



Day 158 Thursday 20 August

At sea, big swell. Sailing west- north-westerly towards Papeete

25c strong winds, clouds, some sunny periods.



We had breakfast then did Zumba. Gail walked, and I read, watched some tennis on TV then we went to the ukulele group's concert. We had a cup of coffee then went to a talk on famous horses which was more about the lecturer than horses.



They put on a dance afternoon tea which we went to which was very nice. Silver service afternoon tea; scones and cream, sandwiches, shortbread, tea and coffee and formal ballroom dancing.



We had dinner in the bistro then went to the Crooners Bar at about 8.00 rather than going to the show because all the entertainers that have finished their shows but are still on the ship joined Derek the pianist and put on a cabaret which was really good. Evidently it was a good decision because the show reportedly was not that good.



I finished "The Gray Man" by Mark Greaney

Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb