Day 21 – Touring Amalia Glacier and the Torres del Paine National Park


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
December 26th 2012
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Everyone was up at O’Dark Hundred this morning as we streamed very slowly into the Torres del Paine National Park in southern Chile. Our goal was to sight Amalia Glacier, which we did about 0800. It was not nearly as spectacular as the glaciers we have seen in Alaskan waters, but the deep fjords running throughout the park reminded Steve of Milford Sound on the South Island of New Zealand. We did catch a few glimpses of sea lions basking on rocks in the foggy mist. The day is overcast with Force 8 winds and the temp in the high 40’s, so it is back to winter gear after a few weeks of blazing sunshine and warm temperatures. We remained the fjords until about 1500, when we hit the Pacific for one last shot (only about 3 – 4 hours) for our transition into the Strait of Magellan. The Star Princess entered the Strait of Magellan at 2130 on a cold, wet evening, with ENT scheduled for 2235. We will drop the hook in Punta Arenas early tomorrow, and have been warned about some potential for a wild ride in the tenders due to the high winds experienced in the area. We have now sailed more than 8,100 miles from San Francisco. Our course is 105 degrees true at a speed of 18 knots, and we are now also below the 50 degree line, and still heading south.

It was close to a heart attack for Steve late this morning, when the Captain announced during our gym workout that there had been a minor fire in the galley below Jimmy on the mid-watch, and there was a potential it might have to be shut down for a day, but good news – the crew responded very quickly and things will be back to normal in short order. Steve was already drafting a letter to Princess in the strongest terms (just like in Titanic) regarding the closure of Jimmy, but all for naught. It was a great day to sit out in the high winds on the promenade deck and read while we rolled through the swells. Of course, we were pretty much alone out there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb