Day Five – At Sea off the Coast of Mexico – Clock set forward one hour at 0200


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
December 10th 2012
Published: January 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We hit the gym hard this morning after a day off and then just laid in the sun for the rest of the day. Felt like a fat lizard on a hot rock. Still about 85 – 90 degrees, but the humidity is definitely getting equatorial. Another pod of dolphins passed down the starboard side of the ship, but these guys were under water and going like the bullet train. The water is so clear here you can see the fish swimming alongside the ship. We entered the Gulf of Tehuantepec at Noon, and the winds picked up a tad, as did the seas. This place is notorious for raging seas and howling winds off the high peaks of southern Mexico during February through May, as the northern and southern air currents collide here (think a sort of Coriolis Effect) and bounce off the mountain peaks. The Captain told us he was bringing the ship into the lee of the land, just in case, but it looks like we have dodged a bullet. We have steamed another 490 miles in the past 24 hours. Total distance steamed is now 2,100 miles.

One thing we have noticed up by the pool is that people from most other countries than America have no concept of size and swimwear. We have seen some people who could be stars on “The Biggest Loser” wearing string bikinis and Speedo’s while cruising the decks. Both of us are just sort of, “Wow, that’s amazing.” Learning new cultures is so interesting….

We land in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala early tomorrow morning and have a long tour day ahead of us, so it’s off to bed early this evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb