Crossing the Pacific Ocean


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
February 7th 2010
Published: February 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dinner with Captain DagDinner with Captain DagDinner with Captain Dag

Dinner with Captain Dag
It always amazes me how immense the Pacific Ocean is. You can travel for days and not see land or even another ship! So, once again, we left San Diego for a six day sojourn across the great Pacific knowing we’d see nothing but water for days. We have a really spectacular corner room on the back of the ship this year, with a wrap around balcony and windows that make for some really terrific views. I can sit mesmerized for hours just watching the water churn behind the ship, displaying a beautiful array of deep blues, turquoises, and white foam. The further south and west we go, the brighter the blues, the warmer the temperature, and of course the dreaded humidity … lots of bad hair days running around on this ship!

We’ve had many friends and family ask … “How can you stand that many days at sea? Don’t you get bored?” Well, the answer is that there is never time for boredom. There is a wide array of activities to choose from at all hours day and night. There are bridge classes, Mah-Jongg, many other games and sports activities, art classes, a wide array of lectures, writing classes, and many more. Some days it’s even hard to find time to just relax by the pool and read a book! I’m playing bridge and mah-jongg each morning at sea, and Bruce has resumed his position in the afternoon as “King of the Paddle Tennis Courts”. Most of the players are the same as last year and they have a lot of fun!

We are once again graced with Captain Dag Dvergastein from Norway, who has to be the best captain on the seas. He has a wonderful personality and is a wealth of information, always happy to mingle among the passengers and tell us of his interesting adventures from all over the world. He greets us each morning with his “Words of the Day” (or rather “Vords of the Day” with his Norwegian accent), which is update on our sailing status followed by poetry appropriate to wherever we happen to be in the world. Unlike many cruise ship captains, he opens the bridge each day when possible for passengers to visit as they wish.

We also have our favorite General Manager Michael Coghlan on board with his beautiful and talented wife Stephanie. Michael originates from Toronto,
Bob & SandraBob & SandraBob & Sandra

Bob & Sandra
but now lives in New York with Stephanie when he isn’t making sure the Regent cruise ships are operating as they should be. He is responsible for all “hotel” operations on board and is loved by both passengers and crew. Stephanie was Miss California several years back and competed in the Miss America pageant. Her talent is her really beautiful voice and when we’re lucky she graces us with a concert!

Also important for keeping us entertained is our Cruise Director Jamie Logan and his wife Dana, who acts as our World Cruise Hostess. Their team makes sure that there are enough activities at all times to ensure the passengers don’t get bored. In addition to the standard daily activities, they put on a Country Fair where all passengers could participate in a variety of games up on the pool deck. And of course, as is customary when crossing the equator, a “Crossing the Line” ceremony where the (Trusty) Shellbacks (sailor who have crossed before) torture (in good fun) and initiate the (Slimy) Pollywogs who have never crossed before.

So once again we had a pretty good crossing. It wasn’t smooth as glass like last year but still
PiesPiesPies

Galley Team "Pied" at Country Fair
pretty smooth seas. We arrived on the 7th morning of January 21st in Nuku Hiva, in the picturesque Marquesas Islands, the northern most group of islands in French Polynesia. Nuku Hiva is one of the two largest and most populous islands in the group but still has a population of only about 2,600 residents. There is no barrier reef here, so mostly rocky shoreline with beautiful bays and mountain terrain. We had a nice walk on shore and then attended a feast put on by the locals complete with native dancers and local arts and crafts. It was a nice break from sea days, and then off we go towards Tahiti, nearly one thousand miles south!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Native DancersNative Dancers
Native Dancers

Native Dancers in Nuku Hiva
KayakerKayaker
Kayaker

Bruce's Buddy Racing the Ship's Tender


8th February 2010

Love the blog, keep it coming :)
8th February 2010

Great Blog
How fun. Thanks for sharing your trip; I loved reading and dreaming....miss you.
9th February 2010

I am so jealous!
Thank you for including me in your blog. I will enjoy watching your travels. I resigned from Bank of America last Friday. I have an opportunity to go to work for a boutique bank that is opening a office in Plano between Park and Parker on the tollway. It is First Private Bank of Texas and it will open in April. I will once again be working with affluent clients which I love. I just wanted to let you know and please do not email me at work as I am no longer there. Since I am going to work for a competitor, they asked me to leave. I will talk to you more about it when you return.
16th March 2010

Mannnn sounds like a great cabin! I could just sit and stare out over the ocean with a glass of wine for days and never get bored...the water soothes the soul.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb