Barrier Landing


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific » Tasman Sea
March 7th 2018
Published: March 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Barrier Landing Barrier Landing Barrier Landing

The peace and tranquility when you're the only one here
We've spent the last 3 days at Barrier Landing just taking in the tranquility of this area. There has been a few boats come & go during our stay here, a few of the yachts that will be doing the Marley Point Overnight Race over the weekend, left this morning to start their two day journey to Marley Point. Yesterday we walked along 90 Mile Beach to the Entrance - the bar. A good walk on very soft sand that took about 3 hours in all. The sea was flat, just prefect for a jet ski to come out through the Entrance for a fast ride on the sea. The dredger remained doing its thing & the internal dredgers at the crossing of the entrance were also busy as we could see the sand being pumped out of the pipe into the sea. We had some entertainment during the afternoon watching a charter yacht come in, he did a 360 upon attempting to berth & was not interested in assistance!

John decided that we'd stay another day here, he seems to be really enjoying not doing much & just sitting. I'm filling in my time reading, doing some embroidery and
Memorial plaques on Barrier Landing jettyMemorial plaques on Barrier Landing jettyMemorial plaques on Barrier Landing jetty

A sad reminder of the fragility of life one age 15 the other 17 years
continuing with my Pilates. This morning we walked west along the Barrier Landing foreshore, there are a few "houses" and a camp site amongst the bush. We were told that Parks wanted to acquire the land but the owners put up a bit of an argument and have been granted another 75 year lease. We also discovered that the crabs that we've been watching at night time are European crabs, which have come in with the international ships - these crabs are killing off the native Aussie crabs so apparently anyone finding these European crabs are being asked to "see and kill"...... Good luck John tonight.

This afternoon we walked east along the foreshore and just as we were starting our walk a beautiful Couta boat was approaching the shore. Two dogs appeared on the bow, the Labordor began to size up the distance to shore, depth of water and speed, we knew what he was about to do. ..... yep next thing he lept into the water and the race was on to beat mum & dad to shore. It was quite funny watching him swim along side the boat all the while checking "am I beating them".
Hooded Plovers Hooded Plovers Hooded Plovers

Apparently almost extinct- we think we saw a couple
He did and proudly stood up and walked out to meet them! One of the guys actually used to sail with Rob Davis, Commodore at SYC. Small world hey!

Along the way, we found sea snails eating stranded jellyfish - never seen that before and also what looked like black rock but was soft - John thinks it is compacted sludge from the lakes. I was far more creative hoping it was fossilised dinosaur poo!!

Tomorrow will head further into the lakes but destination at this time is unknown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

90 Mile Beach90 Mile Beach
90 Mile Beach

Yep we walked all the way up to the Entrance. Phew it was a long way on soft sand
The Bar The Bar
The Bar

So flat the jet ski went out, can we order this for next week too
Foreshore Barrier Landing critters Foreshore Barrier Landing critters
Foreshore Barrier Landing critters

Never seen sea snails eating jelly fish before
Fossilised Dinosaur poo!!!!Fossilised Dinosaur poo!!!!
Fossilised Dinosaur poo!!!!

Really it is - John says its compact sludge from the bottom of the lakes. What a spoil sport.
Barrier Landing Barrier Landing
Barrier Landing

A few more boats this morning


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb