There are people who have money, and people who are rich


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Mediterranean » Balearic Sea
August 31st 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Peter Pan Peter Pan Peter Pan

and us / y nosotros
With this blog I would like to prove that there is much more to do in Majorca than staying at a hotel, roast on the beach during the day (next to the hotel) and spend the night drinking until your liver explodes (at the hotel bar)...

Those of you who know us, would know that we don't have lots of money, but we consider ourselves rich in other aspects, such as having a wonderful family or enjoying what we have instead of complaining for what we don't have; but this year we decided to spoil ourselves and rent a sailing boat with some other members of our family for a week, to mix among the brave souls who spend their summers floating on the clear Mediterranean waters around Majorca.

And so we arrived at the docks to meet Peter Pan, our home for the next week: a Bavaria 39 yatch, it was very beautiful and with space for 8 people (we were never more than 7).

We set sail really excited and enjoyed the ride very much; as soon as we arrived to Portal Vells, we jumped in the water, which is what I had been dreaming about for months, since we bought the tickets to Majorca: of course we weren't disappointed and the water was amazing. We enjoyed a bit of snorkeling and, with 7 mts deep, the visibility was great!. On shore one could see the hole left by the stone workers when they removed the rocks to build the Palma cathedral. That first day, we were so tired that went to bed at around 9.30 pm!

Peter spend the night being rocked by the waves and making lots of noises, but we all slept pretty well, specially my Dad, who spent every night sleeping on deck.

The next morning the water was flat and clear so we enjoyed a nice swim counting fish through our masks.

After that we went to Sant Elmo... and although it was a nice little bay, the sea was angry and moving all day, so we went to shore for dinner; I could barely eat because I was so dizzy, and when we returned to the boat it was even worse: I lay in bed trying to sleep and I was getting sicker and sicker, so I went up to deck to get some air but wasn't feeling much better; I begged my Dad (who has a place in Heaven after this week) to take me back to shore, to which he said a big NO, and for that I'm quite grateful; instead, he started sailing to go to a more calm bay; I admit I slept most of the way, but the short periods when I was conscious I wasn't feeling sick anymore and I could see a massive full moon and enjoy the freshness of the air... but I could see my Dad all covered with a hood quite cold, rescuing me and taking me to where the sea was more friendly!.

The best place, with no doubt was Cabrera island: it's on the south east of Majorca and with rangers and lizards as its only inhabitants, because it's a national park, so we had to ask for permission in advance to stay over night the Peter... it was just amazing!: the water was even more clear and the fish were bigger and bolder, they weren't shy at all, and even swam right next to the beach!. The sea was so calm that, for the first time, we were able to cook and eat inside the boat and even play cards!! (we couldn't do it on deck after sunset because Peter didn't have any lights outside).

The next morning was the best and we introduced my Auntie to the wonders of the underwater world after we convinced her to try snorkel... she refused in the beginning but, once she tried, she won't take off the mask!. We spent so long in the water that we got sun burnt on our backs :o(

After that, we went to the Cueva Blava, an amazing cave with beautiful blue water and so clear that one could see the bottom at 20 mts deep!... my sister and I even braved the entrance of the cave, at much more depth!!

The last night was really rough... and we all had a bit of a hard time to sleep, but then we were rewarded with great wind on the last morning and we could sail through the Bay of Palma with no engine!

I knew I was going to get sick, and it's never nice; but I have to admit that, once you get used to the movement of the waves, it's a very nice experience: the smell of the sea, the thousands of fish, the sunsets, the silence at night only broken by the sound of waves and the great company of my family... it was definitely a great week!


Hay gente que tiene dinero y gente que es rica



Con este blog quiero demostrar que en Mallorca hay mucho más que hacer que quedarse en un hotel, pasarse el día tostándose en la playa (en frente del hotel) y la noche intentando coger un coma etílico (en el bar del hotel)...

Para los que ya nos conoceis, sabeis que no tenemos mucho dinero, pero nos consideramos ricos en otros aspectos como el tener una familia maravillosa y el saber disfrutar con lo que tenemos en vez de protestar por lo que no tenemos; pero este año hemos decidido darnos un capricho y alquilar un velero con varios miembros de mi familia durante una semana, para mezclarnos con las almas valientes que pasan los veranos flotando en las cristalinas aguas del Mediterráneo en Mallorca.

Así que llegamos al puerto a conocer a Peter Pan, que sería nuestra casa durante la próxima semana: un yate Bavaria 39, muy bonito y con capacidad para 8 personas (ningún día fuimos más de 7).

Zarpamos muy contentos y disfrutamos mucho de la navegación; tan pronto como llegamos a Portal Vells, nos tiramos al agua, que es con lo que había estado soñando desde que reservamos el billete a Mallorca hace meses: por supuesto, no nos decepcionó y el agua estaba buenísima. Disfrutamos de un poco de snorkel y, con 7 metros de profundidad la visibilidad era genial!. En tierra se pueden ver los agujeros dejados por los canteros que sacaron la roca para construir la catedral de Palma. Esa noche estábamos tan cansados que nos fuimos a dormir a las 9.30 pm!

Peter se pasó la noche meciéndose con las olas y haciendo muchos ruidos, pero todos dormimos bastante bien, sobre todo mi Padre, que se pasó la semana durmiendo en cubierta!

A la mañana siguiente el agua estaba como un plato, y nos bañamos contando los peces.

Después nos fuimos a Sant Elmo... y aunque era una cala muy bonita, el mar estaba enfadado y se movió todo el día, así que nos fuimos a tierra para cenar; casi no pude comer porque estaba muy mareada y cuando volvimos al barco aún fue peor: me tumbé en cama para intentar dormir, pero me mareé más y más, así que me fuí a cubierta a que me diera el aire, pero no me sentía mucho mejor, así que le pedí a mi padre (que después de esta semana con nosotros tiene el cielo ganado) que me llevara a tierra a lo que me respondió con un gran NO, por lo cual le estoy muy agradecida; en lugar de llevarme a tierra, me llevó a otra cala en la que el mar estaba más calmado; debo admitir que dormí casi todo el camino, pero los pocos momentos de lucidez ya no estaba mareada y me gustó navegar por la noche con la luna llena y el aire fresco... pero veía a mi padre cubierto hasta las orejas con una capucha, rescatándome del mar furioso y llevándome a donde el mar no estaba tan enfadado!.

El mejor sitio, sin duda, fue la isla de Cabrera: está en el sudeste de Mallorca y es un parque nacional, así que hay que pedir permiso para fondear por la noche... fue increíble!: el agua estaba aún más clara y los peces eran aún más grandes y atrevidos, no tenían vergüenza ninguna y se bañaban en la orilla de la playa!. El agua estaba tan calmada que por primera vez pudimos cocinar y cenar dentro del barco... e incluso jugar a las cartas! (no podíamos jugar en cubierta porque Peter no tenía luz!).

La mañana siguiente fue la mejor y presentamos a mi tía a las maravillas de la vida acuática... al principio decía que no lo quería ver y luego no había quién le quitara la máscara!. Estuvimos en el agua tanto tiempo que hasta nos quemamos la espalda! :o(

Después nos fuimos a la Cueva Blava, un sitio increíble con agua azul tan clara que ves el fondo a 20 metros!... mi hermana y yo incluso nos trevimos a nadar hasta la entrada donde hay más profundidad!

La última noche fue la peor, con muchísimo movimiento, y todos lo pasamos un poco mal para dormir, pero nos recompensó el día siguiente con el mejor viento de toda la semana y por fin pudimos navegar por la Bahía de Palma sin motor!

Yo sabía que me iba a marear y , la verdad, se pasa muy mal, pero tengo que admitir que una vez que te acostumbras al movimiento de las olas, es una experiencia genial: el olor del mar, los miles de peces, las puestas de sol, el silencio de la noche que solo se rompe con las olas del mar y la gran compañía de mi familia... fue definitivamente una gran semana!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Dragonera islandDragonera island
Dragonera island

Is called Dragonera because it's supposed to look like a dragon... it kinda does actually! / se llama Dragonera porque se supone que tiene forma de dragón... y la tiene, no?
that's Peter Pan!! / ese es Peter Pan!!that's Peter Pan!! / ese es Peter Pan!!
that's Peter Pan!! / ese es Peter Pan!!

Sant Elmo, where the sea is evil... / Sant Elmo, donde el mar es malvado...
Cueva BlavaCueva Blava
Cueva Blava

I know it's blurry, but with the flash, the water didn't look this blue, it actually looked black! / ya sé que está borrosa, pero con el flash el agua no se veía así de azul... se venía negra!
Cala PiCala Pi
Cala Pi

too small for more than 3 boats! / demasiado pequenha para mas de 3 barcos!


2nd September 2010

A different view of a beautiful island...really enjoyed the blog
2nd September 2010

Dream entry!
What a change from Korea, isn't it! love your entry. One day...yes...one day we may also end up on one of these boat! Keep the dream going!
3rd September 2010

que bien lo pasais
que envidia......
5th September 2010
sunrise  /  amanecer

hi
your pic is nice
14th April 2012

Nice one!
Life is indeed all about what you decide to make out of it :-) Nice entry & pics...so blue, make me wish I was already back by the sea...

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb