10 Mar 2017 – at Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
March 10th 2017
Published: March 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hello from the ship as we continue sailing around the northeast quadrant of Brazil toward the Caribbean. This was another day of restful cruising – Janet is trying to teach David how to enjoy “doing nothing”. He’s still got to work on this, but he’s trying.



The ship has been heading generally West-Northwest most of the day and we are gradually sneaking up on the Equator. They predict we will cross about 11:00 tomorrow morning. But that means we are only a couple of degrees south so the sun is pretty much overhead. This morning it was fairly clear and really hot out on the deck, but there was steady overcast most of the afternoon which made it feel cooler.



We slept in and then had a meatless breakfast in the Horizon Court. It wasn’t the best breakfast ever, but it was alright. Then Janet went to her Knitters group and finished her project almost – there are some final touches which will need to be finished when she gets home. But she has pulled out another needlework project and is working again. There is always knitting to fall back upon if she gets tired of needling.



After breakfast, David went to the Princess Theater and heard the description of Martinique. We will have 3 more sea days and then will go to Barbados. He had missed the live presentation yesterday but watched the televised version during the afternoon today. But this morning he heard about Martinique. After that we will visit Antigua and the last island we visit will be St Kitts. The presentations are very popular and usually people need to get their early to have a seat.



We met back in the cabin about noon and then went to the dining room for a formal luncheon. Janet had some kind of a lobster dish and David had cheese pasta. We both had peach crumble with vanilla ice cream for dessert. We shared a table with a couple from Toronto and a second couple from Arizona. Janet had a good conversation with one of the ladies, but the room got so noisy that David had trouble understanding the conversations. But Janet enjoys having people wait on her instead of carrying her own plate in the Horizon Court, so we did it today.



After lunch Janet watched a movie called “Did you hear about the Morgans?” and worked on her new project with her sore foot propped up. David went up to the pool deck and watched the conclusion of a water volleyball game (the team that could stand on the bottom of the pool had a great advantage over the fellows treading water in the deep end). Soon afterwards he got a chance to swim for a while and then rest in a deckchair for the rest of the hour.



Back in the cabin we did some more resting and reading, and just practiced having a good time not doing anything. At 4:00 we went down to the Specialty Coffee stand and Janet got a cup of Salted Caramel Coffee. It is located right next to the International Café, so David got a couple of cookies.



We already told you about encountering Rich (Jim Siebert’s friend) on this cruise. Janet also ran across one of her old bosses from McDonnel Douglas days. He even recognized her and called her by name. It is sad to say that he is still working there. So now we have started looking
Appetizers & Drinks Appetizers & Drinks Appetizers & Drinks

with Debbie & Craig & us
for other people we know from elsewhere in the world.



At 5:00 we went to the Club Fusion for cocktails and met up with Craig & Debbie (the people we’ve been hanging out with in these receptions). Yesterday was her birthday and they went to Sabatini’s (the Italian specialty dining restaurant). They had a good time and a good meal, but so did we and we didn’t have to pay the $60 surcharge. Tonight in the dining room Janet had shrimp cocktail and Fettuccini Alfredo. David had the fruit cup, Caesar salad, and poached salmon. For dessert Janet had watermelon sorbet and David had apple pie ala mode.



This evening in the theater they had a Comedy Variety show with someone whom David had seen a few nights ago, without great reviews. There is a production show in the Explorer’s Lounge at 9:00 which he will try to go see (if he can get in) and Janet decided to stay in the cabin.

Advertisement



11th March 2017

doing nothing
Yes, doing nothing is hard...I think it must be in the Garvin genes...ha,ha!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb