4 Mar 2017 – at Sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
March 4th 2017
Published: March 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We are still in the Atlantic Ocean, continuing northeast toward Rio de Janeiro. We had another restful day with mostly sunny weather and nice sea-cooled temperatures in the mid 80s. We are well past the cold rough seas from earlier in the trip and since leaving the Falklands this has been much more enjoyable weather (even sometime on the hot side). A quick synopsis of today is a very nice day.



We went to the dining room this morning and had a sit-down breakfast. Janet was able to get Eggs Benedict and David had a nice Omelet. We were seated with a pair of crazy couples. One pretty old gentleman couldn’t seem to remember what he’d ordered and was nearly deaf, so each time the waiter asked if he wanted anything else, he kept ordering more food. He ended up with about 3 full breakfasts, which of course he couldn’t actually eat. The gentleman from the other couple wanted to make sure the water pitcher didn’t smell like chlorine, and he objected to eating the salmon because it was “farm raised” instead of “wild”. Then his wife wanted to follow Janet to the Knitters meeting, even though she had not brought any projects.



So Janet took her new friend to meet her old friends. Apparently she was more of a Knatter, but she was quite interested in someone doing “beading” work. Happily David did not have to take her opinionated husband anywhere with him. Instead he went to the theater and attended the Port Lecture about Rio (tomorrow’s destination). Before the show began, our new dinner table-mates came by and commented that they never expected it to be so full – everyone from the previous cruise had seen that in each previous lecture.



We met back at the cabin and then waited until 12:30 to go to lunch. They had a Pub Lunch again today. Janet had the Fish & Chips while David had Bangers & Mash. It was good and not too large a plate – no overeating at least this meal. However the Fish & Chips also came with a side order of “mushy peas”. If anyone has not seen/tasted mushy peas, they are exactly like you are imagining from the title. At the table next to us a couple was finishing their meal when we sat down and ordered. He said to her, “that guacamole was very grainy”. We just smiled and did not correct them.



We went back to the cabin again and watched a movie. It was one of the Jack Ryan movies which we hadn’t seen before. That was another restful afternoon. Janet stayed in the cabin and worked some more on her project while she watched a second movie. David went up to the pool for a little swim and then doing some suntan. Afterwards he came down and did some reading on the balcony.



At 5:00 we went to Club Fusion for appetizers and a cocktail. Tonight we had Mojitos and Mexican salsa/chips with assorted cheeses. We have been running into the same couple off-and-on since Valparaiso but had not learned each other’s names. Today we actually introduced each other. They are Craig and Debbie from Toronto. Since we’ve chatted with them on numerous occasions, now we know what to call them.



After the appetizers we went to dinner. We both had the Veal Cordon Blue, which was very good. An alternate selection would have been a sirloin strip steak, but we had such excellent beef in Buenos Aires, it didn’t seem like David was ready to go back to shipboard steaks. He also got a slice of Carrot Cake for dessert because we never have that at home.



This evening’s show in the Princess Theater was the pseudo musical-magic show we saw on the first cruise. We weren’t interested in seeing it again so we made an early evening of it before we tackle Rio tomorrow. It may not sound like a exciting day, but sometime vacations have rest periods too.



There should have been 4 pictures yesterday, but just 3 scenes around the ship today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb