Divert! Divert! Divert!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
May 4th 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pilot/Rescue Boat!Pilot/Rescue Boat!Pilot/Rescue Boat!

Looking down on veranda decks and rescue boat.
Divert! Divert! Divert!

Unbelievable! We have been at sea only 3 days and already we have a "Man Overboard" threat and now, we were just notified that at 22:30 late last night, the 3rd, the Captain turned us back toward Bermuda with all 6 engines at full speed ahead! Someone onboard is VERY ill and requires surgery that cannot be done here in the medical bay. We are now too far for the US Coast Guard a helicopter to reach us and Bermuda does not have any helicopters to send. So, off to Bermuda for us! The Captain tells us that IF we do not have any more "Adventures at Sea", we should still make Gibraltar on time. We have been heading toward Bermuda for the last 17 hours! We reached Bermuda and laid off shore for about ½ mile while the pilot/rescue boat pulled along side. The sick passenger, his entire family and luggage were off loaded while most of the ship watched over the side. It was a touchy transfer, but all turned out well, and we turned NE to finally head for Gibraltar. Bermuda looked beautiful and green from our southern view.
I have to say that it is great to be traveling with a ship of mostly experienced travelers. Nobody is upset by our two adventures and we are really happy to know that the Captain and crew will do whatever is necessary to keep us safe. Thanks Captain Nick Nash and Crew!


Advertisement



4th May 2010

I want to know more about the....
man overboard! Did someone really fall/jump overboard??? Or was that mistake. I have never really wanted to do a cruise before. Your posts are solidifying that. I hope the rest of the trip goes "swimmingly." c.
4th May 2010

Wow! I can't believe all that has happened on your cruise so far! I've never heard of so many situations on one ship! But as you said, it is really great to hear that the crew will do whatever they need to keep passengers safe. Especially in these days of cutting cost at whatever expense. I hope that passenger will be okay, and I hope you reach Gibralter soon... it's really beautiful there! I look forward to your next post! Heather dirty-hippies.blogspot.com
5th May 2010

what ship
Hi Jean, what ship are you on? would like to look it up!
10th May 2010

Crown Princess
Out of Ft. Lauderdale on May 1. Hope our paths cross. Would love to see yo. Jean

Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb