June 3 & 4 - still at sea


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic
June 4th 2023
Published: June 4th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Saturday:

This was our 4th day cruising from Hallifax to Iceland. Each day we are getting closer and tomorrow should be the last "sea day" for a while. Friday the temperature had warmed to about 51 and today was a high near 49, so it's not as chilly as it was earlier. Yesterday we continued to have fog much of the time, but today was partly cloudy and even sunny occasionally. The sea swells are pretty small so the ride has been nice and smooth for the past few days. Still the outside decks have been fairly empty and the internal lounges fairly crowded. Those who were out walking were pretty well bundled up.

Last night we lost an hour on the clock and the same will happen again tonight. So our internal clocks are getting a little confused. We did not set an alarm this morning and slept until 10:30 with the revised clock today. David went up to the Horizon Court and got some bacon and pastries and we had a light/late breakfast in the cabin.

Today was "Alfredo Pizzeria" in the Sabatini Restaurant. Alfredo's is a regular restaurant on larger ships but here it is a special event (like Pub Lunch had been). We went just after noon and there was a long waiting list. We actually got called about 1:00, so we were glad to have had that impromptu breakfast. We each had the Island Princess special pizza, which was Canadian Bacon and Mazzarella cheese, with tomato sauce. It wasn't until 2:00 that they brought our pizzas because of the crowd, so we were actually hungry by then.

Here are a couple of jokes from the morning Wake-up Show. Question: Why doesn't Dracula have any friends? Answer: Because when he is around other people he is a real pain in the neck. Question: Where did Captain Hook get his hook? Answer: At the second hand store.

After lunch we looked for the Future Cruise people but there was a long line of folks ahead of us. We went back to the cabin and Janet started watching a movie while David read. About 3:30 he went back to the future cruise people and got some information about cruises we might be interested in some day. However none of these were included in the 50% off sale, so we didn't do anything.

We managed to work up a small appetite for dinner tonight at 5:00, but didn't do as many extras as on other nights. David had the coconut shrimp appetizer but Janet didn't have anything. Then we both had the Veal Scallopini, and we both followed it with Cherries Jubilee. Then tonight we went to the Princess Theater and watched a singer named Alex Yost who sang a wide range of songs. He was good and we were glad we went early enough so we could get seats at the top and didn't have to walk down the steps.

Now we are back in the cabin for the night. Unfortunately tonight will be another lost hour so we get to the Icelandic Time Zone. After this there will be several days without time adjustments, with just one more change before we get to England. So good night from the North Atlantic.



Sunday:

The satelite internet service is pretty poor out here in the middle of the ocean, or maybe because we are getting pretty far north. Anyway we did not have a good enough internet connection to send the blog yesterday. Hopefully tonight will be better nearer Iceland.

Even with the lost hour we still got up at 7:30. That left us plenty of time to have breakfast in the dining room. Janet had the Eggs Benedict again and David had another omelet. Then we were off to the Crooner's Lounge for stitching. David has been having some issues using the on-board network so he visited the IT people. Hopefully they have resolved the problem. Anyway, he then sat in the lounge and read some more of his book. It keeps putting him to sleep in the cabin, so maybe he will make more progress out in public. Tomorrow will be a "port day", so this is a chance to stock up some more energy with a restful day at sea.

Question: Why couldn't the cruiser play cards while at sea? Because they were standing on the deck.

About 11:30 we went back to the cabin. Janet probably would have liked to stay knitting and talking even longer, but David was getting sleepy and wanted a nap. So she changed from knitting to stitching and kept right on working in the cabin while David took a nap.

About 1:00 he brought down a hamburger and a hot dog, along with fries. Janet ordered drinks to be brought to the room and we had a kind of picnic in the cabin. Later on David brought down some cookies from the Horizon Court. The rest of the afternoon we spent relaxing in the cabin watching a TV series about house-flipping in Chicago. She also finished up a movie from yesterday called "Tar".

The weather today was actually pretty pleasant. The announced temperature said it was almost 50 degrees. Although the ship's speed was about 17 knots, there was almost no breeze across the deck or on the balcony. We must be heading the same direction as the wind, at about the same speed. Anyway it was comfortable enough for David to sit on the balcony and read for an hour. Janet came out for awhile and we watched for whales, but didn't see anything besides lots of water.

The captain came on this afternoon with a lot of geographic facts, but the one which stood out the most is that sunset tonight will be at 11:30 and sunrise tomorrow morning will be at 3:15. We will be pretty close to Iceland by then, so those will be approximately the times for the next few days.

For dinner this evening David had the pot roast and Janet had mushroom risotto. We got out of the dining room early so there was plenty of time to get to the theater for convenient seats. Tonight the performer was a pianist, who told some jokes but basically played the piano very well.

Now we are back in the cabin for the rest of the evening and hoping to get a decent internet connection. Good night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb