Edit Blog Post
Published: February 1st 2009
Welcome to St. Helena, a British territory in the heart of the South Atlantic. She's a quirky little place alright, an isolated volcanic lump created by the Mid-Atlantic Rift... and home to a few fun facts!
- claims to be Britain's second oldest colony
- is home to the world's most expensive coffee - made from the Green-tipped Bourbon bean imported from Mocha of Yemen
- was the site of Napolean Bonaparte's exile and subsequent death
- is home to Tungi spirit, a noxious alcohol distilled from prickly pears
- has no airport - visitors, goods, and mail must arrive/depart by ship
- possesses the world's longest continuous straight set of stairs, Jacob's Ladder (699 steps)
- is home to Jonathon, the world's oldest tortoise (estimated to be over 127 years old)
- is over 2000 km from any major landmass
We have arrived here for a 24-hour stopover while on our Trans-Atlantic yacht race (more on this in the next blog). With such little time to experience St. Helena, we attempted a cultural blitz! Tungi shots were downed, coffee slurped, old-fashioned letters to Mom written, stamped and loaded onto the mail ship, and stairs conquered!
a doubt, Jacob's Ladder was a special treat and my favourite part of the stop. The Ladder was named after a mythical ladder to heaven described in the book of Genesis - but the real version on St. Helena just leads up to a nice view. Does that qualify as irony? In any case, I suppose if you dehydrated yourself thoroughly before climbing, you could induce a more spiritual journey.
Not much to report, but I just wanted to be the first to write about St. Helena on Travelblog! I'm just a little disappointed I couldn't stay longer on this fabulous and friendly island.
Oh, and by the way, there were once 700 steps
, but 1 got covered up during repairs.
Note: Photo credits given to CR (Cody) and ZW (Zach). Photos with no credit listed were taken by yours truly.
Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:saturn w:www (126.96.36.199); sld: 2;
; mem: 1.3mb