What Happened to the 700th?


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » Saint Helena
January 13th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

St. Helena


Welcome to St. Helena, a British territory in the heart of the South Atlantic. She's a quirky little place alright, an isolated volcanic lump created by the Mid-Atlantic Rift... and home to a few fun facts!

St. Helena:
We have arrived here for a 24-hour stopover while on our Trans-Atlantic yacht race (more on this in the next blog). With such little time to experience St. Helena, we attempted a cultural blitz! Tungi shots were downed, coffee slurped, old-fashioned letters to Mom written, stamped and loaded onto the mail ship, and stairs conquered!

Without a doubt, Jacob's Ladder was a special treat and my favourite part of the stop. The Ladder was named after a mythical ladder to heaven described in the book of Genesis - but the real version on St. Helena just leads up to a nice view. Does that qualify as irony? In any case, I suppose if you dehydrated yourself thoroughly before climbing, you could induce a more spiritual journey.

Not much to report, but I just wanted to be the first to write about St. Helena on Travelblog! I'm just a little disappointed I couldn't stay longer on this fabulous and friendly island.

Oh, and by the way, there were once 700 steps, but 1 got covered up during repairs.
Cheerio!

Note: Photo credits given to CR (Cody) and ZW (Zach). Photos with no credit listed were taken by yours truly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

A Critical EyeA Critical Eye
A Critical Eye

Appraisal: "Flawless C"
Atlantic GoldAtlantic Gold
Atlantic Gold

Behold! The World's Most Expensive Coffee!
Napolean Says:Napolean Says:
Napolean Says:

Sacre bleu! Où sont les arbres?!
Her Majesty's Mail ShipHer Majesty's Mail Ship
Her Majesty's Mail Ship

The HMS St. Helena unsuspectingly wanders into our crosshairs... photo: ZW
From the Gutter to the StarsFrom the Gutter to the Stars
From the Gutter to the Stars

Side view of Jacob's Ladder
The SummitThe Summit
The Summit

Now for the world's longest rail slide! photo: ZW
StairwarsStairwars
Stairwars

Forget the bars. This is MY kind of night life. photo: CR


2nd February 2009

it might make sense to drink the coffee to get up the stairs, and drink the Tungi to get the courage to slide down the rail. where are the rail slide photos?! -armistice
2nd February 2009

Rail Slide
Sadly, I only learned the proper technique of rail sliding AFTER leaving the island. However, it has been performed successfully by various adventure-seekers. The Ladder is still used daily by St Helena residents as a method of communting. YES WAY. :)
3rd February 2009

Viewed your pix, coffee lover!
I got to view your photos alright. No problem. Must have been a temporary glitch in the system. Happens to me all the time. Btw, was the coffee really good? I am a coffee lover myself, and on the lookout for the best!
3rd February 2009

Coffee Critique
Ah, the distinction of St. Helena coffee is that it is the "most expensive" in the world, but an important lesson to be learnt here is that a price does not always reflect quality. St. Helena coffee is good, and has won awards, but it isn't the world's best. I am sure that on a sunny slope somewhere in Central America, the world's finest bean waits patiently to be plucked. The main reason for St. Helena beans to be so expensive is due to the transportation costs associated from exporting them - and an editorial article in the St. Helena newspaper, the Independent from during our stay stated simply that it's yet another quirky claim to fame. That's what I like about St. Helena. They never claim to be the best; just different.
6th February 2009

Ahoy!
Hey Glad to see you posting! Carry on!I'm watchin'! Christine
26th February 2009

El Salvador
Its sweet stay safe...

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb