A Dinner Date with Man-Eaters


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Gansbaai
December 17th 2008
Published: December 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cage-Diving in Gansbaai


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cage-Diving with the Great Whites 14 secs
"This is madness."
- Sam

We have come to Gansbaai, South Africa, with Dyer Island on the horizon - home to one of the world's densest populations of Great White Sharks. The Man-eating Shark. Carcharodon carcharias.

And we're strapping on wetsuits. Sam is right. This is madness.


The Great White Shark, one of the greatest predators alive, is considered an endangered animal. Humans have hunted them to "vulnerable" levels. Even here at Dyer Island, sightings of full grown sharks (up to 20 ft long and over 4000 lbs) are rare nowadays. The Great Whites' diet is carnivorous and eating habits are legendary. If you believe in reincarnation, it's probably best not to wish to come back as a sea lion.

The shark speaks with its teeth. They don't have hands, so they use their mouths for just about everything. They communicate with eachother and settle territorial disputes by biting eachother. As you can see in the photos, all of the sharks look pretty beaten up. They live a rough and tumble life. It is possible that many so-called attacks on humans were simply "test bites", as the shark will chomp on just about anything such as buoys, surfboards, flotsam, and even humans, just to find out what it is. Problem is, if a single shark bite can rip apart 30 lbs of meat, even a small nibble could be a nightmare.

Tourism from cage diving is unquestionably more prosperous and sustainable for local economies rather than outright fishing for the sharks. As well, it raises awareness, though admittedly most tours probably don't teach tourists much about the sharks. Tourists come for the big teeth, not a lesson in conservation. However, I think the dive operators would be surprised of how many people are truly interested in learning more about the sharks.

The main concern of cage diving is that it encourages sharks to approach humans by baiting them with chum (fish bits and blood). This is a valid concern, but noone has so far been able to determine if sharks now associate humans with food, and if so, if it will result in more humans being attacked. I couldn't find any statistics to support either side. My opinion is that we simply don't know much about Great White Sharks and this is the change that needs to occur first.

Overall, the instances of humans being attacked by a Great White are very rare, and when it does occur, it is often a case of mistaken identity (thinking a human is a seal) or a test bite.

Responsible dive boat operators will try to draw the shark away from the cage using the bait, but as you can see from the video above, it is pretty difficult to judge where the shark will move next. There aren't exactly "Responsible Use of Chum" regulations for operators to follow.

Ironically, as the sharks circled the boat and attacked the chum, it was hard not to pity them. Their brethren are being choked to death in shark nets strung along beaches around the world. Countless numbers of sharks die simply because we fear them. Our sense of security demands bloodshed. Other Great Whites are flopping around on the decks of fishing boats. It might be illegal to fish for Great Whites in a few countries, but if they just happen to get caught, they'll be processed anyway and sold under the label of a unprotected type of shark for a nice profit.

Cage diving may be controversial, but we couldn't resist. After all, madness
...dun-na-na...din-na-na!...dun-na-na...din-na-na!...dun-na-na...din-na-na!

If you didn't already guess, I was doing the Jaws theme.
is in the eye of the beholder.

Underwater photo credit: C. Reed and Z. Wood


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Lock and Load!Lock and Load!
Lock and Load!

It didn't seem extreme enough, so we strapped plastic explosives to ourselves. LET'S DO THIS!
Best of ChumsBest of Chums
Best of Chums

Rubbing chum all over yourself makes it even MORE extreme. I swear that's why I did it.
Cage?!Cage?!
Cage?!

What's this sissy cage business all about?
Greetings, Human..Greetings, Human..
Greetings, Human..

Step into my parlor..
..And now it's your turn!..And now it's your turn!
..And now it's your turn!

Get in my belly! (Photo taken at same time as video above). Credit: C. Reed
AUUUGH!!AUUUGH!!
AUUUGH!!

Get me outta here!! I give up!
Sheesh..Sheesh..
Sheesh..

Tourists are no fun..
Oh My!Oh My!
Oh My!

What large teeth you have!
Sam says..Sam says..
Sam says..

"That shark bit off 3 of my fingers.. AWESOME!"
Send more tourists!Send more tourists!
Send more tourists!

The last ones were delicious!
Sam and ZachSam and Zach
Sam and Zach

Happy to be back on the boat.
Has anyone seen Clive lately?Has anyone seen Clive lately?
Has anyone seen Clive lately?

Last I saw he was trembling in a corner of the cage.


27th December 2008

Awesome story and photos!!
Hey Clive, Sounds like you had an awesome time with the sharks. Your story and photos were great, please keep sharing your adventures with us. I've always wanted to try diving with sharks too :) Safe travels always Clive and happy holidays!! Cynthia
28th December 2008

must say, the picture of the shark's mouth was very, very impressive... now I'm even more scared of them!!!
28th December 2008

Yeeeee-haaaawww
What a fine way to spend the Christmas holidays!
28th December 2008

You are a cool person
I stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say that this experience seems amazing. I love your photos and I will definately have to do this sometime in my life. Very cool!
28th December 2008

YOU ARE #$%^' NUTS!!!!!!!
That's all I have to say.
29th December 2008

What an adventure!
Hello my fellow Canadian, I spent my whole day reading up your adventure - fantastic! I am so jealous... and at the same time totally inspired. I want to learn how to sail now. Heading to Africa in 8 months so we will have to exchange travel notes when you get time. Keep up the blogging and if you get a chance, check out my blog: http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Menzel/ Megan
30th December 2008

sweet...
Clive... first off gotta say I was fooled by the rock climbing in the last post... that was a classic! reminded me of the crazy photography we did with the Inca... Next I gotta say, pretty cool with the shark cages... then I gotta brag that I was swimming with the suckers in thailand, I guess they were different sharks though (mine were juvenile bull sharks, which are supposedly safe while the adults are dangerous, but who tells the sharks they're just juveniles? Drop me an email dude. Merry christmas!

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb