Fécamp


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Atlantic » English Channel
August 10th 2012
Published: August 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

From Dieppe we motored down the coast to Fécamp. No ferries or large ships to bear down ominously on us here, not like the larger ports we had come through so far, just a simple square harbour and a mixture of local leisure craft of all types and sizes, and visiting yachts. We arrived in time for an excellent menu by the water, then wandered around doing various chores and watched the sun go down from the steep pebble beach.

There had been almost no wind in the morning then a stiff breeze suddenly from the east in the afternoon and evening. The longer term forecast was for a return to the southwesterlies which had stopped us from making our way westward and created the unpleasant swell out at sea. The new wind from the east was forecast to remain throughout the following day and presented us with the only opportunity to cross back to Britain in the next several days. Throughout our journey to Fécamp and our afternoon there, mixed with the pleasures of the day were also therefore our apprehensions about taking on the Channel crossing. Of course, we had learned a huge amount so far, and all the signs were good for a fast, safe crossing, but there would only the two of us, and the proposed route was nearly seventy miles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb