Canucks +2+DownUnder


Advertisement
Oceania
October 31st 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks!
Any of you who know me well - know that my abilities around these systems are very limited! (Brian - you need not add anything to this - but you most of all will realize my limitations.) All to say we've finally figured out how to do this - not the photos yet I'm afraid but Maurice can only spend so much time sitting patiently beside me while I fumble away!

We were delayed 3 days in Vancouver because of the earthquake in Honolulu on Saturday evening - the 14th Oct. - so finally arrived in Oz on October 20th. Meant we had to rearrange our plans a little but in the end worked out ok. Stayed in Sydney with our friends until the Monday when Diana flew out with us to Perth and wine country! Rob unfortunately had to work at the last minute.

We had great fun at the wineries in Margaret River - truly a place that epitomizes the saying "So much wine, so little time!" - with 70+ vineyards - and even I have a little trouble with wine=tasting at 10:00 am when they open!! All to say we've managed to select some that we like and have been having much fun 'wining and dining'. Weather started off cool but last day on way back to Perth it got up to about 26C which was gorgeous. Unfortunately if and when I do get these pics loaded - most will be of us sitting around at some winery or another ......don't know why that was really!!

Left Perth on the 27th - Diana flew back to Sydney and we went on to Tasmania. Took the red-eye and arrived at 9:00 am Hobart time - they'd already moved the clocks forward - and had the pilot pointing out the lovely snow that had fallen the night before!! Temp was a balmy 5C and we weren't terribly impressed! Thank heavens we'd brought jeans and fleeces etc. as well as a weather-proof jacket. (Dad's really enjoying one of your castoffs Sean!!)

We're here till the 4th Nov and head back to Sydney. Have been 'toodling' around Hobart and yesterday drove out to the very rugged southwest area of Mt. Peak National Park and the Gordon Dam project. Absolutely awe-inspiring to see this massive dam (of course typically - one sign said it should be open till 5:00 pm but other said it closed at 3:00 (we had arrived at 4:00!!) - so just used the catwalk to take photos.) Actually that was enough as the height was incredible and the butterflies in the stomach didn't want to settle down even after we were back in the car.

That's all for now - will try and get the photos on next edition but wanted to let you all know that we're thinking of you - and of course, raising a glass in your honour!! Judy - thanks again for the loan of the 'marvellous' suitcase etc. it has been very handy and I promise I'll have it back in time.

Love Us.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb