Driving to Whanganui River


Advertisement
Oceania
March 15th 2012
Published: March 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We rented a car, a full size Australian made, bright red car. We motored from Rotorua to Pipitiki in the Whanganui National Park. Breathtaking drive - outside of Rotorua one can see the white steam of the geothermals randomly dotting the landscape of rolling pastures with mountains in the backdrop. Just outside of Taupo we stopped at the Huka Falls. Just off the road and worth the stop. As we motor south and we enter the mountains and the roads we need to take get more and more twisted! Driving on the wrong side of the road and navigating switchbacks, continuous "S"curves and logging trucks is a bit tricky and slightly anxiety producing! Bill did an awesome job driving. He seems to be comfortable on the wrong side of the road immediately.

When we arrived at Pipitiki we found our outfitters shack- a metal building with a trailer attached and a faded tarp to keep the sun off the makeshift patio. A dented, sun-faded old boat sits beside the building. We think what have we gotten in to. No one to greet us, just a note - they will be late and "cheers". Ok, so we wait with a lovely couple from the south island who happen to be taking a few days hiking before going to a 3 day International music festival.

Our tour guide arrives and loads us up in a bright yellow, blue trimmed jet boat which seats at least 10 passengers. We race down the river toward our lodge. The river is situated in a deep canyon. The walls are covered with palms, ferns and hardwoods - amazing.

Our lodge is up the river banks about 200 meters. It's a steep climb and we are winded. The view at the top is fabulous. We are truly in the wop wops ( in the middle of nowhere)! Our host serves us dinner of chicken,corn, broccoli, garlic bread and fruit . There are a total of 7 guests. We sat up, drank a few beers and got to know our lodge mates. Nice place, but no hot water.

The next day we will go up the river for a hike to the Bridge to Nowhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb