Mataranka to Lake Argyle


Advertisement
Oceania
September 1st 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Barramundi Feeding Mataranka 31 secs
2: Jumping Crocodile 4 secs
3: Barramundi Pick Up 14 secs
We have travelled over 5000km during our first 6 weeks on the road so have done some huge distances. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Mataranka which was our next stop. Mataranka has fantastic natural springs which flow at a lovely 34 degrees which were amazing to swim in. The caravan park also had daily Barramundi feeding (video attached) and a range of resident Peacocks and Wallabies. Roxy was eyeing a few of them up so we kept her on the lead otherwise we may have been evicted from the caravan park!

We headed to Darwin next and decided to spend a week there as it was a fantastic place with lots to see. The main highlight being the jumping crocodiles on the Adelaide River. They are wild crocodiles that jump out of the water and some of them were huge. Check out the awesome pics and video. We also visited Crocodylus park which is a Crocodile farm which also has a range of other animals. In one of the ponds there were over 600 crocodiles which was an amazing sight. Darwin also has amazing WWII history and sights. We also attended the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets which had amazing food stalls to go with the fantastic view and sunset! See the pic of Dave at the roadkill cafe purchasing a where they sold crocodile sticks - looked like chicken but was very chewy and not nice tasting.

After Darwin we headed to Litchfield National park. What a spectacular place that was. With amazing waterfalls though out the park and very easy to access and travel around in one day. It was also a perfect way to cool off in the 35 degree heat.

Katherine was next stop on the way back down the highway so we decided to spend a couple of nights there as we got TV reception and the tri-nations final was on. We camped next to some Kiwis so I thought that would be a given that the AB's would win. However but this did not help the rugby result unfortunately the AB's still lots. Some amazing caves at Katherine the Cutta Cutta caves as well as the spectacular Katherine Gorge which had scores of wallabies and fruit bats through out it. The Wallabies were very tame and come really close which was fantastic they are so cute!

We had a huge drive the next day as we were heading to WA next stop Lake Argyle not far across the WA border. We were expecting to camp right on the lake edge and swim in the lake but when we arrived we found the lake walls are sheer rock and very steep so no swimming there. Luckily for us the caravan park had an amazing infinity pool which had spectacular views out over the lake. Check out the amazing pics!










Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb