Magical Uluru - Ayres Rock


Advertisement
Oceania
March 21st 2010
Published: March 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi, everybody! I'm having trouble receiving emails at my regular address. If you write to me please do it through the blog or to . Thanks. Internet access is intermittent but it's nice to have mail from home.


Flying into Uluru from Brisbane we were really surprised to see how much water was in the desert. There were thousands of little blue lakes as we neared Ayres Rock. The landing strip at Uluru (the proper name) was all green. There was apparently a terrific rain storm last week that filled the ponds and flooded the streets of the resort area.

There is no town, just a circle drive where the hotels are located. One conglomerate called Voyages owns all the hotels so one is pretty much like the other. It's ridiculously expensive in Uluru. A steak dinner is $47. We found a backpackers hostel that has cheaper meals. There was also a supermarket for fresh fruit and other things we could take to our room.

Last night we went to the 'Sounds Of Silence Dinner' and it was all it was cracked up to be on the internet. Fifty people walked up onto a hill overlooking Uluru. While an Aussie fellow played a didgereedoo (properly called a 'darkie') we watched the sun set over the Rock. We were served champagne and canapes. Then we all trooped over the hill to a dining area that was set up in the desert. Eight people sat at each table and we enjoyed a fabulous dinner, including kangaroo, emu and crocodile meat. I have to admit that it was so dark we could barely see our plates but that was part of the ambiance! When dinner was over an astronomer gave a talk about the amazing constellations that were above us. She pointed a bright beam of light into the sky to illustrate her talk. It was really something. The silence and sky and open-air space was awesome.

This morning we were up at 4 a.m. (sigh) and on a bus by 5:15. We were taken to a viewing platform in the desert where we watched the sun rise over Uluru. The changing colours in the rock were beautiful as the sun rose over the horizon. After some tea and 'bickies' we started our walk around the base of Uluru. We were guided by a knowledgeable young woman who told us stories about the aboriginals as we walked. We walked for three hours. The rock is really quite spiritual with its warm ochre tones and its rich native history. Barry had already decided to honour the natives by not walking to the top of the rock but, as it turned out, the walk was closed. It's closed quite often because people keep insisting on climbing it in the hot weather. Some of them then have heart attacks in their hotel rooms that evening. The temperature the past two days has been 36.

Being here has been an incredible experience. Uluru is definitely a spiritual place.

Advertisement



26th March 2010

Fabulous!
Hi I am enjoying your trip. You have a great way of writing, and it all sounds fabulous.. The wildlife must be amazing. The Rock surely is special. Must be to get up so early! Carry on, and have a wonderful trip.
30th March 2010

What an experience!
Sounds like such an interesting place..How exciting to see the sunset and sunrise down there...Have fun.

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb