Off to Mitta Mitta... Day two


Advertisement
Oceania
November 1st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The first day of this trip was a long day for us all. We were on the road at 5:45am. No wonder we all hit the sack by 8:30pm. Numb bums was the order for the day. We did not sleep in the Geehi Hut as there are signs up saying that camping is not allowed. The building is heritage listed now. Last thing we wanted to a Ranger throwing us out of the hut at 10pm and we would then have to pitch our tents in the dark.

Day two dawned with the warm rays of the sun reaching down to us. We knew it was going to be another superb day for a ride.




Morning warmed mist started to rise from the Swampy Plains River.







As we left Geehi Hut the locals came out to see us off. Roos stood erect and stared at us as we crawled up the dirt road. They do not understand the thrill that was just about to start again. Riding the Alpine Way.





We stuck to the speed limits right through out this trip. Yet we still were making great time. So stop offs to take photos in no way slowed us down. This lookout over looks where we had come from.





As we stood talking to other travelers at the lookout we heard this almighty cracking sound. It was a tree coming down. Where we did not know. We mounted up and headed back onto the Alpine Way. Thats when we found where the tree had come down. Not 100 meters from the turn off to the lookout here is the tree across the road. It was blocking the way we had come from. Had we have been 15 minutes later leaving Geehi Hut the road would have been blocked for us. As we headed down to Khancoban Snowies Worker's 4x4 headed up to the blocked road.

Victoria was beckoning us. Lilly was excited about crossing a state line. She had never done this before.







The sun was slowly drifting away behind us. It was getting colder. Rain splattered my screen. They need rain so much down there after the worst bush fires in recorded Australian history took so many lives a few weeks back. We were not unhappy to see the rain.





By no means did the rain stop us enjoying the hills and dales. We still punted along through the corners like this was the last one.

Our destination for the nights stop over was at Bethanga. We had floor space, a great home cooked meal and great new bike mates to meet at Charlie's place.



Dinner at Charlie's place will be posted next. Stay tuned.

Photo credits: Lilly and myself.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb