Kia Ora - the North Island


Advertisement
Oceania
August 10th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, the North Island has been just as hectic as the South. There's just sooooo much to do in this picturesque, clean and friendly country. As I'm "leaving...on a jet plane..." yet again in a matter of hours, here's a quick summary of my North Island travels and some pics:

Wellington - the capital city, explore Te Papa, the wonderful NZ museum covering all things Maori. There's great displays of Maori taraonga (treasures), a marae (meeting place) and I learn about the Creation involving Ranginui (Father Sky) and Papatuanuku (Mother Earth). However, there's also loads of other exhibitions so I learn about the Scots in New Zealand (!), see a colossal squid, reconstruction of an earthquake and an F1 exhibition, fab for a rev head like me...

Palmerston North - spend a lovely week with the NZ rellies in Palmy. Despite aiming for a week of R&R we pack loads in including the NZ rugby museum, Te Manawa museum, beautiful walk through the Manawatu Gorge, view the wind farms, a windmill in Foxton, the owls (and glow worms) at Owlcatraz, help out feeding the calves on the farm, tour and tasting at the Tui brewery, evening of Pacifika Fusion, Nga Manu Nature Reserve to see two beautiful Kiwi's (at last) as well as lots of other native birds and best of all a wonderful day touring round the wineries in Hawkes Bay 😊 Not to mention meeting my second / third cousins.

Wanganui - see the magnificent waka war canoe in the Regional Museum, walk up Durie Hill then 176 steps to the top of the war memorial for some good views of Wanganui & the Tasman Sea. Join the postie on his deliveries along the Wanganui River Road. Great scenery, visit Jerusalem (!) and we come across some very innovative mail boxes...see pics.

Napier - Art Deco everywhere you look, energetic walk to the top of Bluff Hill and see Hotel California - the Eagles Experience at the Art Deco Municipal Theatre with my NZ travel buddy Rick.

Taupo - stunning helicopter ride over the Huka Falls, Lake Taupo and the steaming geothermal features. Then it's a hang tight thrilling ride in a jet boat complete with 360 degree turns and into the spray of the Huka Falls. Can see snow-capped volcano Ngauruhoe from the hostel balcony, aka Mt Doom from LOTR.

Rotorua - SMELLY but very surreal to see so much bubbling mud and steaming pools just as we're wandering about the town park, good night life so have various drunken nights (one involving dancing on the tables - oops) as well as visiting Te Wairoa - the Buried Village (covered in mud and ash during the 1886 eruption) and our Maori experience at Tamaki Village...lots of dancing including the haka, singing, telling of Maori myths, hangi food and bulging eyes and tongue sticking out everywhere you looked...scary but fascinating 😊

Tauranga - nothing of note but Rick and I had a great meal in the local Indian restaurant, with fine Australian wine and reminisced about our trips to India and Australia...already distant memories.

Auckland - home of the Sky Tower - THE TALLEST STRUCTURE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE. I chicken out of the Sky Jump but enjoy the great views from the observation decks over the city and the volcanoes. It's been a MAGIC 4 weeks round NZ - I've done so much but yet there's also so much I didn't do.

No wuckin furries, I'll just need to come back 😊



Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb