A final word on New Zealand


Advertisement
Oceania
March 14th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I think we guessed our 3.5 months just about right.

We managed to work a fifth of our time, and see more of New Zealand than even the locals get to see.

Any less than this and we would have missed out key areas, and not have sampled such variety. Any more and we may have been in danger of feeling itchy, wanting the next adventure, knowing whats ahead, and not least, the need to escape the cool autumn (and the burn on our wallets!)

After nearly 9000 kilometres on the road and camping, hostelling, 'woofing' on every corner of both islands I can well and truly say we have 'done' New Zealand.

Highlights and memories are very hard to choose but the ones I suspect will stand out the strongest are as follows:

>The range and sheer amount of empty walking tracks taking you through to stunning waterfalls, green flowing coloured rivers, coastal or mountain tracks, through bush and beech forest

>The very unfair and unspoilt towns of a British Victorian scene almost forgotten such as Devonport, Russell, Akaroa and the island towns on Waieke Island...

> The effortless breeze of driving on deserted highways through stunning scenery

> Jaw Dropping Mt Cook against the emerald turqoise of the salt-lake next door

>The waterfalls of Milford Sound and the true exhileration of a multi day tramp

> The endless wildlife in abundance - especially the variable melodies of the native Tui and bellbirds

>The smiling and relaxed vibe from the Kiwi people

>Empty beaches as long as the eye can see

>The quaint old-English scenes especially the New-England frontier type buildings, beautiful parklands, and endless amounts of picnic benches in head-shaking locations! but even silly things like people filling up your car of petrol (remember that?!) , traditional village shops, and the real community spirit..

> And of course! ...... The adrenaline-charged paid-for activities - noticeably the SkyDive being the best and most exhilerating but also the Whale watch and glow worms (seeing millions of illuminous lives light up a cave like a new galaxy in a nights' sky!) and the volcanic parks in Rotorua (n. Island).

We even managed a ride in a helicopter and tiny plane!

But there are so so so many things you can do here, we barely scratched the surface.

I think the essence of what makes New Zealand such a fantastic 'tourist' experience is that population' factor I keep going on about - 4 million people, 2 million of which are in Auckland - it explains a HELL of a lot. More than you ever realise until you have lived like a local without all those people. No queues, no traffic, no pollution, no litter, less crime, CLEAN public toilets( including toilet paper!) empty beaches, deserted parks, peaceful desolate walking tracks the list goes on.

After having no queues in either shops or on roads for 3 months, and the word 'empty' obtaining a new definition, it will be big shock going home. At least we have a buffer zone in between, that of, Asia, which should prepare us for our return to '60 million-UK'.


I'll remember New Zealand for all its undeveloped and untouched scenery and the amazing experiences we have both had here.

And finally, unfortunately for us at least, that cliche is true, it IS like England used to be a long long time ago.
***************************


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1007.8kb