New Zealand - South Island


Advertisement
Oceania
January 9th 2008
Published: January 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Christchurch, New Zealand on December 28th and stayed there for a couple of nights before driving southwards. Originally we were going to spend New Year in Queenstown, but given that we were quite tight for time to travel New Zealand, realised that it would make more sense to stay in Dunedin instead, and then travel onto Queenstown later - so we spent New Year´s Eve out in Dunedin town with a few local people we met at the hostel we were staying in.

After Dunedin we drove to Te Anau, and stayed in a hostel overlooking the lake and mountains. From there we went on a day tour to Milford Sounds, including a boat cruise. It was quite overcast and a bit rainy throughout the day, but we still really enjoyed the scenery.

We travelled onwards from Te Anau to spend a couple of days in Queenstown, where I did some hang-gliding over the mountains - beautiful clear blue skies, so had an amazing view over the town and surrounding countryside. We then moved on to Franz Josef, where we did a full day´s hike on the glacier - tiring, but well worth it!

The following few days were spent between Hokitika (where we had torrential rain for the time we were there), Mircheson and then to Picton for the night before catching the ferry over to the north island.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb