The latest from down under!


Advertisement
Oceania
December 4th 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

G'day mates!

I realise its been very nearly a month since we last posted anything, so thought I'd take 10 mins and fill you in on the last month or so.

The racing season has long since finished. Claire still reckons she broke even - trust me, she didn't, but it was fun none the less! I think next year we'll stick with the country races - half the price, a fraction of the amount of people and I don't need to spend three days trailing round department shops watching Claire trying on every outfit they have - twice.

Melbourne also has its own fringe festival - not quite like on Edinburgh scales and actually the prize for the best newcomer is a slot at the Edinburgh fringe next year. I'm not sure if its still going on, but there is still a tent with stuff happening every night at the arts centre (I only know this cause we popped in for a glass of wine on the way home the other night!).

Claire is working in a prime events venue in Melbourne that specialises in multimillion dollar weddings - its really something else. I suspect we won't be getting married there. She is enjoying it - but it is long, hard and unsociable hours at the moment being the run up to Christmas. Thankfully she is only working one night this week (after a marathon weekend of about 35 hours!), so she's a bit more able to do other stuff this week. She has got back into her gymnastics in a serious way - I had to draw the line the other night when she took the rubbish out walking on her hands.

We had Ryan and Kel stay with us for a week or so last week before moving into their posh pad by the sea. I guess staying by the sea must remind Kel of back home in Blackpool - well, maybe not quite!

We’ve also spent a few afternoons and evenings at the flying club - and twice been provided with a free bar for Claire and I (and our guests!) courtesy of the president. They had a bit of a do the other week as their first brand new plane of three was delivered from the factory in New Zealand - I have to say, it was quite exciting, especially so when I discovered it is fully aerobatic and capable of flying upside down for 20 seconds. I wish I could take Donald up flying again...

We had a wee drive out to Torquay which is about an hours drive on the coast further round to the west of Melbourne one afternoon. Claire was quite excited about picking up surfing again (which Torquay is famous for) - I took one look at the “surf” and decided I was going nowhere near the water - the waves were like 15ft high. It is well worth a drive down there though, not least because of the numerous surf shops!

Its 8.30pm just now - and I am listening to real radio over the internet, having dinner with a bottle of irn-bru (which tastes exactly as it does at home!). They are talking about an accident in Airdrie and advising folk to find another route - some things don’t change!

There have been a lot of ups and downs over the last month - but things are pretty much on track and we got our Christmas trip finalised today - so loads to look forward to over the next month
At the flying clubAt the flying clubAt the flying club

They were struggling to find a real pilot at the club!
or so.

Hope all is well at home folks - miss everyone loads. I've posted a few pictures we've taken during the month - need to get the camera out a bit more!






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Flying ClubFlying Club
Flying Club

Enjoying a glass of wine - after landing!
The club's new aircraftThe club's new aircraft
The club's new aircraft

An Alpha 160a apparently - I don't know much about it, other than it can fly upside down!
Dinner at the beachDinner at the beach
Dinner at the beach

Watchin the Spirit of Tasmania head off (10 hours on the boat to Tassie, you know!!)
Ellie in MelbourneEllie in Melbourne
Ellie in Melbourne

Not quite as good as the real thing Ellie!
Claire's new purseClaire's new purse
Claire's new purse

All those extra shifts at the function venue are paying off
Ricky & RyanRicky & Ryan
Ricky & Ryan

At the casino
Claire & KelClaire & Kel
Claire & Kel

At the casino


Tot: 1.647s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb