The Travellers Return


Advertisement
Oceania
February 17th 2007
Published: March 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Marahau we caught a midday bus via Nelson to the ferry port at Picton. We'd booked for the 7pm sailing, that would get us into Wellington just after 10pm... and so, we departed from the fair Island of the south, and journeyed to the north- our return to Auckland and final leg of the pre-uni travels! I think we all felt the last week had been quite a rush, trying to cover that much distance, under pain of not starting Uni on time, while trying to see as much as possible on the way.

Having kissed the south Island goodbye, I turned my attention to where we would be staying in Wellington. We'd reasoned previously 'Wellington's a city, we'll find something'... we hadn't accounted for the National Rugby game factor, however! We spent the majority of the crossing on the phone, it seemed as if everywhere in Wellington was completely booked! We had a brainstorming session with another traveller in our situation, popular options seemed to be: sleep in train station, sleep in ferry port, wander the city streets, find a park and pitch tent, knock on kiwi door and ask for camping rights... none of the options were ideal.

We'd emailed Alex, the kiwi guy we met on the Kepler track, a couple of days ago, but he already had visitors at that time. We left him a message briefly outlining the situation, in case he had an suggestions.

When we arrived, we check at various hostels to make sure. It was as I imagined though, the city accommodation books out when Rugby comes to town. We were just walking to the station to see what possible sleeping arrangements might be, when we notice a familiar figure walking towards us from out of the evening shadows... it was Alex, like an Angel from the night! He offered us to camp in his garden, and explained he'd been looking for us and was just about to call it a night! How's that for a taste of kiwi hospitality! I think we were all a bit taken a-back. So, our lodgings were sussed for the evening, for which we were very grateful... although I had been robbed of the anecdote of 'the time I slept rough on the streets of Wellington'! I think it's a sacrifice I can live with.

The next day, Alex gave us a lift to the train station, from where we would take the Overlander service to Auckland. The route was scenic, 12 hours long, and included an hour lunch break at 'National Park'. And so it was, that returned to Auckland, our home city to be. It had been quite a fortnight!... and I for one, was ready for some rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb