The Countdown Continues


Advertisement
Oceania
December 21st 2006
Published: December 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kia ora

We thought we'd just give you all a quick update on preparation progress as we head into the xmas break.

Since we last wrote I have officially given notice of my resignation, effective from 5pm 26 January. It can't come soon enough I tell you. Emma had her last day at school yesterday so now probably won't work again until we get to Van. Lucky for some! Not that I'll be stressing myself out during my last three weeks at Council. I've spent most of this week quietly winding down towards the break and don't really intend winding back up again on my return in the New Year.

In the interim I will be spending Xmas day at home with the family while Emma is spending it up in Christchurch with all her family. We're then heading up to Hawea for New Years Eve which we're both really looking forward to. The plan is to camp on the lawn at Ross's parents place and enjoy a few bevies and the company of a few mates that we haven't seen much of during the last year and may not see again for sometime. We'll spending the last hours of 2006 rocking out to a live performance by one of my all time favourite Kiwi bands, Shihad. We're both really excited about seeing them live again and we're determined not to let anything stop it from happening, not even a minor incident involving a mother who is very thorough when it comes to cleaning (if a little inattentive), our Shihad tickets and a rubbish bin. All I can say is that Ticketek has proven to us that the generous Christmas spirit is alive and well in corporate NZ. So in summary... a beautiful location, beautiful weather (fingers crossed!), cold beers, back yard cricket, good company, plenty of laughs and one of the best live acts around on one of the best party nights of the year... what more could guy ask for?

Once we have recovered from the New Years festivities we're off to Stewart Island for a few days with Emma's parents. Again we are both really looking forward to it and having spent no more than 2 hours (in total) on the Island previously it will be a good chance to explore the place a bit more and see what it has to offer. Then it will be back to work and the final countdown to departure.

The week in Aussie is now almost all sorted and we have booked a backpackers in downtown Van for the first week we're there. I am also in the process of applying for my first job in Canada. Its basically the same job as what I'm doing now but for a little more money. The Council is the City of Port Moody which is about 30mins from downtown Van. It would be a great job to score but I'm not getting my hopes up as I've heard its pretty hard for foreigners to get professional jobs over there, especially with no Canadian work experience. It will be good to go through the process though and hopefully get an idea of how the system works over there so we'll give it a crack and see what happens. Nothing to lose.

Anyway that’s it for now. We will probably add another entry when we return from Stewart Island and maybe include some interesting photos from our break. Until then Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Gaz and Emma.

00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS

until we depart Invers




Advertisement



23rd December 2006

Rebuttal from Mother
Its obvious if you take one step in Gareth's cave that he hasn't learnt one thing from the incident.
2nd February 2007

Sarah
Have fun on the plane today guys off into the big world.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb