First week Port Vila


Advertisement
Vanuatu's flag
Oceania » Vanuatu » Efate » Port Vila
September 27th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone! This will be my last chance to update the blog for a while so just wanted to write a quick note. Things have been going very well and we've been kept really busy this past week. We've had some sort of training during the day from 8-4 everyday either medical, safety, health, or language, all orientation type stuff. Then we are free and usually run errands and go to dinner, kava, or hang out with current volunteers. My day usually ends at 8:30 or 9, which has been bedtime lately. It gets dark really early here, around 6:30, so that will take some getting used to, but it makes it easier to get to bed earlier.
Today we took a boat out for some water safety training and got to jump off the boat and go snorkeling for a bit so that was really cool. I'm definitely going to continue to snorkel and invest in some gear because our training village will have some good opportunities to get back in the water.

We leave tomorrow afternoon for the training village (Mangaliliu if you want to google it) and we spend 10 weeks there with a host family. Part of Survivor Vanuatu was filmed on this village and there's some sites marked for it. We weren't sure if we were still going to proceed to the village because there was a death of the chief's brother. The chief decided to proceed and have us but said it will be low key when we arrive. It's really excited to finally start the training and get into the village. I've been told will be the most difficult time and it will be really challenging, but it will be really helpful to have our host families.

Overall, Vanuatu has been amazing and if there's any chance anyone can visit just let me know! I'll update next in a month or so when we can get into the capital. I also would love to receive letters or emails while I'm there!
Take care everyone


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb