Christmas and NewYear in Tonga


Advertisement
Tonga's flag
Oceania » Tonga
January 8th 2009
Published: January 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

December 13 I fly from Auckland to Tongatapu, the main island on Tonga. I staying at a Lodge outside the capital Nuku'alofa. After 5 days Børre and Marianne arrive Tonga, good to see them again. We split up 3 month ago, and we had plan to meet to celebrate Cristmas and NewYear together at the Dateline.
I been looking for a new place to stay before they arrive so we move to Ha'atafu on the North end of the island. This is a surfer resort, so most of the people there are surfers. (except us)

19 we celebrate my burstday in a bar/resturant called Bill Fish in Nuku'alofa. Eating Lobster and drinking the local beer called Ikale. Late in the evening it starts to get a lot of people there since it's on a Friday, so the night was good.
We stay on the main island (Tongatapu) to december 26, and then we went to Ha'apai. Ha'apai is a group of Island 30 min with plane north of Tongatapu. There we celebrate New Year as first on the globe. We celebrated with a bonfire on the beach and a bottle of Rum we got from the locals.

A few days in the new year, after the hangover is gone. Børre and I went for a dive to try to see some sharks, and we did. The same day we could feel a small earthquake, I went online to confirm it, it was a 5.2 with center 270 km south of Tonga.
After a 10 days with of sun, snorkling and diving. It's time to head down to the main island again to catch my flight back to Auckland. The plane was overbooked and they asked me if it was ok to sit on a jumpseat in the cocpit, and of course it's ok.
Not bad start of the new year. Planeride in the cocpit, diving with sharks, and earthquake all in a couple of days.




Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nuku'AlofaNuku'Alofa
Nuku'Alofa

Not all buildings where rebuild after the trouble 2 years ago
Nuku'AlofaNuku'Alofa
Nuku'Alofa

Tallest building in town. (the bank)
HeilalaHeilala
Heilala

Some animals at Heilala Logde
Ha'atafu wavesHa'atafu waves
Ha'atafu waves

Great surfing spot.
Ha'atafuHa'atafu
Ha'atafu

My Fale from the outside
Ha'atafuHa'atafu
Ha'atafu

Inside my Fale
Bill FishBill Fish
Bill Fish

Trofes at the wall at Bill Fish


9th January 2009

Tatau
Looks like great diving waters, except for the sharks I mean... Have you gotten yourself a tattoo yet?

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb