Some rest and relaxation


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
February 3rd 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -41.2159, 173.969

Early Monday morning we were on the car ferry across the Cook Strait to Picton. There was only a short passage across the open sea because the first hour was acoss Wellington Harbour and the last hour up through the Malborough straits betwetractiven islands. This was a very scenic trip pasing rolling hills, deep blue inlets with small boats and leisure craft going in all directions. From Picton we drove for an hour along a windy single track road to a perfect location Te Mahia - on the water bathed in perfect sun for the next 2 days.Here we chilled, sat, swam in cool water, tramped a bit along paths and explored other bays, drank wine, eat picnics, pizza and home cooked mussels and watched the passage of the sun as the day developed, the wind came up, then died down and twilight crept in. Beatifully peaceful. It was warm at night and wonderfully quiet - only 4 other rooms booked in this attractive resor with gardens and a jetty. A highlight of our stay was a boat tri with Pete across the bay to another high end hotel for a simple lunch which involved his Ticky Tour - a New Zealand expression- around the bay. He told us his life story and took us to the few local highlights ie the wreck of a Caledonian made ship, virgin forest,a tree full of shag birds, local properties- many empty- and his muscle farm where he pulled up a pail full of muscles for our tea. Amazing that this little bit of paradise is so underpopulated with empty batches ( holiday homes) most of the year round and locals selling up and selling land. The quickest way to travel is by boat and mre expensive than the approach along windy roads, but an area served in the past by 4 schools and 5 guest houses has seen most close, only 2 left.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb